1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LSU Penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The entire taunting rule is bullshit. Coaches can't discipline their own players, so they beg for a rule to make others do it, and fuck with the actual games rather than do their own jobs. Don't want your players to taunt? Bench the ones that do. Don't like being taunted? Tackle.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The rule was written mainly because old white men are sick of watching black guys dance.

They've been bitching about it since the days of Jerry Levias and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Scrooge reads your posts and thinks, Man, what a miserable son of a bitch. Then Al Sharpton gives them a look and thinks, This dude could use a little perspective.

4. Starman

Methinks they doth protest.

Like it or not, that's what it's about. A bunch of buzzcuts getting bent out of shape when black guys get too mouthy.

Once again, if you don't like people dancing, tackle 'em before they get in the fuckin' end zone.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=pi_mAqOpXLw

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Huh?

7. Starman

Hmm. Well, OK. ::) ::)

8. joeggernaut

joeggernaut Member

Right call, awful rule. Sometimes celebrations happen before a touchdown. If coaches don't like it they should discipline players that taunt, but wiping away a legitimate score because someone got their feelings hurt on the path to the endzone is ridiculous.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does anyone ever ask the other players if they're bothered by stuff like that? I just don't see the point.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Kids need to ask themselves this question: Do I want to score a touchdown or do I want to go into the end zone like a high-stepping, arm-waving, trash-talking fool? Because the refs aren't going to let you do both.
    I'd take the TD every time, run into the end zone with no fanfare, lay the ball down or hand it to the ref. and watch them put six points on the board for my team. But that's just me.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You and Don Hutson.

12. Starman

Except in cases where the celebrant is blatantly/flagrantly/obnoxiously taunting (waving the ball directly in their faces etc), most don't give a fuck. And of course there were already perfectly adequate rules to deal with that. (Refs already had the authority to flag players after the play for unsportsmanlike conduct, and in fact to eject players for flagrant or premeditated acts. They've always had that authority.)

Most players understand that if you've allowed the opponent to make a great play, it's your own fuckin' fault.

Hell, 15 or so years ago, I saw a HIGH SCHOOL game where a guy scored a touchdown, ran to the center of the end zone, held the ball behind his back, set up in a "wide stance," slowwwwly squatted down, then dropped the ball to the ground behind him with a thump.

Awesome. Didn't get flagged. I don't think the refs even got it.

Pretty much all the players on both teams were laughing their asses off. The coaches of the scored-upon team, of course, went berserk.

Draft saved Draft deleted