1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LSU Penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 8, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't see it and it certainly sounds lame, but that ref has stones of steel to make that call in Baton Rouge.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

CBS guys said the coaches wanted this rule put in.

And the guy was taunting from the 10. He still had 5 more yards to go when he put his hands down.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The punter, if just for a second, DID taunt the Gators. Pretty clear violation of the rule.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was celebrating. He was not taunting anyone...

There are about a zillion times that flag should be thrown. That was not even remotely close to being one of them.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He was taunting. It's not a logical rule, but he was taunting the defenders who were coming after him in vain.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Old white men writing old white rules to keep young black men under control.

In my day we never went in for foolishness like that.

Although in my day, some coaches said, "if you don't want guys doing touchdown dances in your end zone, maybe you ought to tackle them before they get in there."

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Celebrate after you score.

He was clearly taunting and deserved to have the score taken off the board.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Punter was white.

Don't you hate it when facts trip you up?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree in theory, but that was ridiculous....

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

to clarify a couple of points....

the officials at no level of any sport write the rules... they enforce what they are told by the coaches and administrators (who do write the rules).

that is a letter-of-the-law penalty under the new rule that was written for this year. he taunted and he got penalized. Even les miles thought it was a good call.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's sounding more like a situation where a guy in a flag football game I reffed taunted the opposing team as he was running back an interception for a would-be score.

I flagged him for it. He was sure the penalty would be assessed on the extra point or when the other team got the ball, but since it happened before he scored, I penalized him from the spot of the foul, so it took his touchdown away. And I would do it again a million times over.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Stilll shouldn't be a penalty. The guy breaks into the clear, let him celebrate any way he wants. If the defense doesn't want him celebrating, then stop the guy from scoring. Don't take away a score just because the guy starts celebrating a little prematurely.

Draft saved Draft deleted