1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LSD No-hitter....great story....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Dedo

Dedo Member

Todd Snider's version:

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Oooh, I just made a touchdown!

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I remember reading in either SI or ESPN a story about the underground world of collecting and trading old game tapes. Guys who have tens of thousands of old games on tape. This would definitely be an interesting one to get a hold of. Especially to see if he did indeed dive out of the way of a slow dribbler as he claims.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I believe Major Baseball has banned video footage of that game from ever being shown.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I wonder if it even exists. buckweaver...help us out here!

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There are no complete game tapes of most of the NLCS from the early 1970s. Why would there be a tape of a random Padres game from 1970, before anyone had a VCR?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damnit, I saw buck posted and was hoping I would find out something really cool, like what kind of acid Ellis took and how many hits.

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I don't know but there are plenty of tapes of NFL games from the 50's and 60's floating around so even though there were no VCR's people have found out how to get a hold of them.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

As I told spnited, I love to watch old game tapes.
    This'n'be a keeper.

10. Smasher_Sloan

There are? Where are they?

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Like I said, either SI or ESPN the Mag did a story a while back on guys who collect and trade old game tapes. Some of them had literally thousands of old games. The ones from the pre-VCR days trickled down to the general public from guys who worked in television and (illegally) circulated copies of game film. The guys in the story did not reveal their real identities and the whole business is very underground because of the legal ramifications. It was a really interesting story.

12. Smasher_Sloan

As I said earlier, complete tapes of early '70s NLCS games don't exist. There's one Super Bowl that can't be found. That makes me very skeptical that complete games exist from the '50s and '60s. A few years ago someone found a nearly complete NBC Game of the Week between the Phillies and Cubs from 1969, and that was believed to the oldest surviving MLB game on video. It was a black and white kinescope. The next oldest is a 1972 b & w tape of Cubs at Giants game.

I'm guessing that MLB would be willing to forgive the legalities in order to get older material. A few years ago, they bought the entire stock of a guy who had been selling radio broadcasts of old games. Those came from amateur sources, people who happened to tape games. It wasn't that unusual for people to have reel to reel audio tape recorders in the '50s and '60s.

In football, it wouldn't surprise me if overhead scouting game films from the '50s and '60s were rescued from dumpsters by people over the years. But as far as actual broadcasts, I would be very skeptical about hidden stashes of stuff from the '50s and '60s. In the early days of video tape, they used huge metal reels that cost over $100 each. I can't believe stations and networks let those walk out of the building.

Draft saved Draft deleted