1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lonely Death of George Bell

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Wife nags me about it.

JackReacher and HC like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For a few months, I went to a higher end place near my office. Spent like $55 a cut, plus the tip. I had a regular girl who cut my hair, and she'd remember me and we'd talk about my kids, her family, our weekends, and so on. She was practically my work spouse that I didn't actually work with. Then, one day, I looked to schedule an appointment, and she didn't work there any more. I never went back. It was way too expensive anyway for my simple hair, but I kept going back because I felt loyal to her, I guess.

Now I go to the Super Cuts near my house. $13.95, plus $5 tip. Usually my son and I go together.

3. $55 for a haircut?
    How long did the actual haircut take?
    That's the rate my wife pays for her appointments, but it lasts about 2 hours.

My barber charges $10. Spends about 20 minutes on my hair and uses hot foam and a straight razor on my face and neck.

A fraternity brother of mine lives Tenn. His barber has a pool table, craft beer and root beer on tap. I think he pays $20-$30 bucks.

4. Dick Whitman

So this is the part I forgot to put in, which was the point of the post. They do some sort of hot hand waxing deal. I would always skip it, and they'd always be aghast about that. You put your hands in hot wax, if I recall, and then the girl would rub the hot hand wax off you and it was supposed to make your hands all soft and supple and I suppose be relaxing and pleasurable in a quasi-sexual way.

Except I don't care if my hands are soft and supple. I'm not a massage guy. I don't like to sit still and be "pampered." Just don't care about that kind of thing whatsoever. My younger brother, who is 1,000 times more metrosexual than I am and has bought lock, stock, and barrel into the "Esquire"-approved urban lifestyle for yuppie DINKs, just couldn't believe I always skipped the hot hand waxing. It's his kind of thing. Not mine. At all.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd rather die alone among my hoarded filth than pay $55 for a haircut.

6. Dick Whitman

Well, it was close to the office, and I've always been frustrated with my hair. It was kind of worth it, at least a time or two, because she was able to figure out what worked for me and, after that, I could just go into any old place and order that up.

They also did a free "touch up" between hair cuts, so it was kind of like getting two hair cuts for the price of one.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd never pay that much for a haircut simply because I have hardly any hair to cut. But the Grooming Lounge, and a few other higher-end places around here, provide shaving for about $55. Always wanted to get a shave, but I've yet to pull the trigger.

The Vietnamese joint I go to for haircuts charges $14 and I just leave a $20. I find that to be a fair price for a once a month cut. Actually, I think that place will also shave your face for like $25 or so.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You'd have more hair if you didn't get it cut so often.

JackReacher likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

I go with my son to the Asian place down the street. Both of us, plus tip, is $30. They have a little play area and toys for kids, so I guess that's cool, but I don't want or need anything more. Haircuts for guys should be as no-frills as it gets, IMO.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's an Asian place in Lorton I used to use, right off Rt. 1, that sounds a lot like that place. Their backrubs were very good. Never got up the courage to inquire about happy endings, though.

11. MisterCreosote

I know places where even the happy endings are cheaper than $55.

JackReacher likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Like I said, I ultimately decided it's not for me. They're selling an experience, not just a haircut.

Draft saved Draft deleted