1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lonely Death of George Bell

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Oct 18, 2015.

1. You're one of those guys who wants to make appointments with barbers, aren't you?

2. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

This will stick with me for awhile. Thanks for sharing this.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nope. I just know which barbershops in my town have long waits and avoid them.

Fortunately, I won't need a barber much longer. It's slowly being taken care of.

Big Circus and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. You don't have a barber?
    You just go get your haircut... anywhere?

5. JackReacher

Is that strange? I get my hair cut at places that cut hair. I usually go to the same one most of the time, the Vietnamese joint. But every now and then, if I'm on the other side of town, I'll use a different one. I'm fairly certain any barbershop in town can clip on the No. 1 attachment and cut my hair.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This isn't the 1950s. The hometown barbershop is a rare thing these days. I don't care who cuts my hair as long as they get it right.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. JackReacher

Exactly. There are probably 30 places in my town to get a haircut. I usually stick to the one closest to my house. Strange, I know!

8. I don't know what you call a hometown barbershop, but I prefer someone - one someone - to regularly cut my hair. There's a lot of those around here.
    I moved here 12 years ago. It took me six or seven years to find a good barber. I have two: my regular and a backup.

I guess I buy my pants at places that sell pants, but I ain't wearing bell bottoms with a pleated front. I'm not going to Supercuts, Planet Fitness or a Vietnamese place to get a haircut.

Carry on ...

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not at all sure how we got from a discussion of a powerful story to where we get our hair cut (I don't) but, yeah, this place sure is strange sometimes.

10. JackReacher

Maybe you have a full head of hair and a particular way you like your hair to be cut. I do not. They attach the No. 1 clip on and cut my hair in roughly 5 minutes. Anyone can do it. Even I could if I weren't so lazy. But I usually use my DraftKings winnings to pay for my haircuts. [/crossthread] Now, back when I was a kid, I lived in a much smaller town and I went to the same barber from the time I was 3 or whatever until I went off to college.

But again, I'll be going the way of Moddy soon anyway, so it won't be an issue.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I looked around for a simple barbershop when I moved to my current town. All I could find were a bunch of places for men where you could order drinks and get a high-dollar cut. I just wanted a Floyd. Now I just go to Sports Clips twice a year.

JackReacher likes this.
  12. JackReacher

Why so often?

Draft saved Draft deleted