1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Little Professor, Dom DiMaggio dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 8, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Bad week to be a Dom.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Teammates

http://www.amazon.com/Teammates-Portrait-Friendship-David-Halberstam/dp/0786888679/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241788269&sr=8-1

RIP

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hasek just chugged a Pilsner Urquell and doesn't know why.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Who can run and hit and throw. He's better than his brother Joe? It's Dominic Dimaggio.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

beat me to it.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I spent an hour or so with Dom DiMaggio, Pesky and Doerr a few years back......3 of the nicest people I've ever met.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Such a pisser that none of those Sox teams won a Series.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. That sucks.

Dom still holds the Red Sox franchise record with a 34-game hitting streak. Seven-time All-Star. Great player.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice obit in the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/09/sports/baseball/09dimaggio.html?hpw

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, it was. I remember reading "Summer of '49" when it first came out and wanting to re-read the ending -- only having the Red Sox hold on and win this time.

I've always been a big Bobby Doerr fan. After reading "Summer of '49" in college, I wrote him a letter. Like now, he was living in Oregon at the time. I got home one day and the flakier of my two roommates said "some old man named Bobby Doerr called for you."

Couldn't believe it and I knew he wasn't yanking my chain because I didn't tell anyone about the letter. He didn't leave a number and I never heard from him again, but that always stuck with me.

RIP to one of the most underrated players of any age, not to mention a damn good businessman who was undoubtedly the most intelligent DiMaggio of the lot.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Maybe a Pats fan on here can confirm, but was Dimaggio on of the early investors in them? It wasn't in the obit.

Draft saved Draft deleted