1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lessons Of Katrina

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 10, 2007.

1. http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/08/europe/EU-GEN-Netherlands-Water.php

If you're keeping score at home, the Dutch look at what happened in NOLA and think, "Crikey, we better plan improved flood control for the next two centuries!" Meanwhile, here in the country where NOLA is located, we don't do dick.

USA! USA!

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But we're kicking ass!

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Who cares if a bunch of dope-smoking lefty prostitutes want to keep their windmills dry.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As we say in my family - If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much!

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Dutch speak with Australian affectations?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Dutch/Canadian inflections, eh!

7. Boy, that speed-skating gene isn't recessive.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

A buddy of mine recently returned from NO where he and some other members of his church (Episcopalians, they're not all tea sippers) spent two weeks refurbishing homes. He knows about the Dutch comments, and he gets twitchy each time there's a tropical storm anywhere near the area.

It's time to get the cojones for a hard decision. Either pour the money in there with the tightest supervision and fix it right--and we're talking untold billions here--or come up with plan b, which would involve abandoning the low spots in the city. For good.

I'm not advocating either. I'm saying, get a solid, comprehensive plan and execute it.

9. Jacky --
    I hate to be the one to destroy your dream, but you have no future in American politics.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As long a New Orleans is located in Louisiana there is no hope of tight supervision. There is no hope in hell of money being spent properly on any public works project in that state. What is happening down there is criminal until there is a change in the culture of politics in that state nothing will get fixed.

Louisiana makes Chicago city government look like a shining bastion of ethics.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great quote from the story:

"We don't want to just let the water flow and all have to move to Germany."

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Politics: the science of the possible. Or, the science of unrealized possiblities.

I have no future as an Episcopalian either.

Draft saved Draft deleted