1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Legendary Norm MacLean

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maberger

maberger Member

stanley cup finals NYI versus VAN

ask whoever's left at UPI where they have no photo files anymore if norm is such a good guy. ask anyone who's ever had to waste time explaining to their boss why norm's claims of discrimination/harassment/other nonsense are not only untrue but laughable
    ask any editor of the 'illustrated' magazines if he's such a good guy

best years of my my nhl life were when i finally found a way to prevent him from talking to me.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

And now boots disappears. What a goof.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Famously, he sat in Red Fisher's seat at the Forum--like the seat at centre ice in the press box wasn't reserved. With a roundhouse that Bruce Lee would have been proud of, Red kicked the chair out from under him.

YHS, etc

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Red didn't avail himself of advice first?

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was the day before the 1980 NHL All-Star Game in Detroit. After the banquet that night, the bar was filled with tuxedoed hockey all-stars. Norm, in his rumpled polyester suit, was in there hitting on every woman in the place and dancing disco.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is still one of my favorite stories in the annals of SportsJournalists.com.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The other great one was Stringer Extraordinaire getting a bad tip (from a NY reporter with mischief in his heart) and asking the security detail around Bill Clinton for comemorative pins at the Wings-Caps final. Detained thereafter, orafices plumbed. Thank gawd that was then and not now--Stringer Ex would be waterboarded at Gitmo (until he shut up).

YHS, etc

8. August West

August West Member

that would be bill shannon, one of the nicest guys around

9. Le Rouge!
    Without him, my visits to the Forum would not have been as much fun.
    He told me once that he'd had a canned obit for Harold Ballard sitting in his queue for 20 years.

10. boots

boots New Member

Marty Global's Met's guide incident was laughable. Even Marty even laughed it off. You youngsters who only cover the NY teams at home are a laughable lot.
    Norm doesn't do anything that you don't do. I have yet to hear anyone say that he has caused them problems. Not one person on here. Yet, you get on an anonymous board and bad mouth an old man who has seen more games than you will dream about.
    You should be half as fortunate.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Twenty hours and that's all you could come up with?

If Marty laughed about the Mets guide, it's because it was incredibly easy for him to finger (!!!) Norm as the thief. Do you think it's funny when someone has stuff stolen? Norm doesn't do anything we don't do? I feel confident speaking for 99.45% of the board when I say I've never taken a newspaper off someone's table as he's reading it, never mind swipe media guides or troll for the giveaway. If Norm was 1/10th the guy you say he is, every post after mine wouldn't have been filled with evidence of Norm's pathetitardness.

You have yet to hear anyone say he causes them problems? Then you've never sniffed a NY press box in your life and you're an even bigger joke than your biggest critics allege. I don't just cover NY home games, but even if I did, I'm pretty confident, after reading your silly-ass shit here, that I'd still have more experience than you.

Indeed, I'm 33 and I've seen more games than Norm, whose age falls somewhere between 878 and Jesus Christ. You know why? Because I WATCH THE FUCKING GAMES.

You must really enjoy that ultimate ass tag, because that's how you look when you insult the rest of us by defending the indefensible. I'd look for that big button we're not supposed to talk about, but this is too entertaining.

12. boots

boots New Member

You are trying to be cute. You are not. You can't touch the number of games Norm has covered.
    You might think you are hot shit covering the Mets for the Suburban Times but there's no reason for you get on an anymous board and rip a guy you wouldn't dare say a damn thing to in person.
    You know it. I know it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.