1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Legend of Bingo Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Finaly a olumn from Bill Rhoden I enjoyed:

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/sports/basketball/14rhoden.h

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Care to fill in those of us who aren't Times Select subscribers?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Times are tough, Boom is selling Times Select subscriptions. I think he gets a nickel for every signup generated from this site.

4. Boom_70

Yes - Rhoden tracks down one of original Cavs with one of great NBA names. Interesting what bingo has to say about todays players.

5. Boom_70

In day one you should be able to see column. I thought Times Select did not kick in till column was archived.
    At worst you might just have to register and sign in but I don't think there is a cost.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

How long has Joe Tait been doing play-by-play of Cavaliers games? I remember him calling games in the 1970s on WWWE. When Bingo Smith would hit a jumper, he'd yell "Bingo!" as if he was a bingo player who just had won a game.

7. Boom_70

Yea - that is why it is such a great basketball name. If I remember correctly Cavs PA announcer screamed "Bingo" also .

Column mentioned some of the other Cavs of era I had forgotten about.

8. ondeadline

There was one memorable Cavaliers team with Bingo Smith, Austin Carr, Jim Chones and Jim Clemmons. It really had no big stars, but one with a balanced attack and was coached by Bill Fitch.

9. Boom_70

People forget that Nate Thurmund was also on that team. I forgot until Rhoden mentioned in his column.

10. ondeadline

Don't forget Luke Witte. :)

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Joe Tait, I believe, has been a Cavs announcer from day one of the team's existence. The only break was when during the Ted Stepien years. That Stepien didn't like him should give you an idea of how good Tait really is.

12. ondeadline

<a href="http://mfile.akamai.com/12176/wma/cavaliers.download.akamai.com/12176/tait5.asx">
    Here's a call of a game-winning playoff shot by Bingo Smith.</a>

Draft saved Draft deleted