1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lee Greenwood Effect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Mar 18, 2008.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I mostly agree with you, though there is one exception. "Values" can be framed simply and concisely enough (though not necessarily accurately enough) for everyone to understand.

The repubs, if they want to, can play the values card by using the Spitzer scandal (esp. since Hillary has ties to Spitzer) to show how the Dems are still an immoral, illicit lot, and how the Repubs have good, old-fashioned values and would never act that way. This while cleverly hiding and/or dodging the fact that McCain dumped his first wife, who raised his kids alone while he was a POW in Vietnam, for a younger, wealthier woman who better served his political ambitions.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

It's not his faith, it's his desire to paint himself as a candidate who transcends race. The attention is certainly legitimate given the minister is a racist -- and that Obama keeps defending him as part of his half-assed "denouncements" whenever the issue is brought up.

3. Face it. There's nothing the guy can say that wil be good enough. "Half-assed denouncements"
    Yeah, OK.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

If, in the midst of "denouncing" him, he makes a point to say that he's about more than that, that's not the man I know, etc., then he's negating the denouncement, thus making it half-assed. He can't have it both ways. If he wants to stick by a man who seems to genuinely care for, fine. Say that, defend it and live with the consequences if he's that important to him. If he wants to make this issue go away and end any further political damage, then state unequivocally that he's appalled by what the man said (without the caveats defending him). Until he does one or the other, the issue is gonna linger. Obama's been put on a pedestal as someone who is above the waffling and half-truths that define most politicians. If he is, indeed, that person, then he should just be honest. Instead, he's trying to play a game he's supposed to be too good for. And he's looking bad doing it.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is another trick we've seen before, this twisting of the acknowledgement of complexity into "waffling." It's as clever as "Who Loves America more?"
    You are the one playing a game. And you're not that good at it.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're never going to get anywhere with your arguments as long as you insist on calling a majority of Americans stupid. It's arrogant. It's elitist. It's egotistical. Also makes you sound like an asshole, but you must enjoy that.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I don't think the majority of Americans are stupid. Just the majority that vote.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It may be all of those. Most all it is factual.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Barbara Ehrenreich had an interesting column on Hillary's faith, apparently she's part of a fundamentalist Christian fellowship called "The Family." I think wading into a my God is better than your God, my church is more holy than your church, debate will not leave a lot of politicians unscathed.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Pastor knows arrogance. I still don't know if he knows who his treat(200th power) granddad is.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

And yet on another thread your friends are claiming that we should believe the war is wrong because of popular opinion polls answered by this same idiotic electorate.
    This stuff makes me so confused.
    When the popular opinion leans right it's wrong. When it leans left it's right.

Somebody help me!?!?!?!?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In other words, he's effective at exposing your side's lies.

Draft saved Draft deleted