1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The least credible awards ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1976. Yeah, real original.

[​IMG]

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Exactly right. Survivor is on the list because it's one of the few shows of the last 25 years that could be considered groundbreaking TV.

As for The Wire, great show. Definitely deserved a nomination. But let's not go overboard. Lost is equally good, and although Friday Night Lights suffered a drop off this season, it still deserved a nomination ahead of shows like House, which is formulaic, and Boston Legal, whose repeated nominations are just baffling.

3. Boognish

Boognish Member

Agreed. I haven't found one. I also find that for some reason a lot of people I know with otherwise fantastic taste drag their heels at the mention of it. Peculiar.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lost is equally good as The Wire?

Not even close. I mean, not even in the same universe.

Lost has become a parody of itself. People are confusing unintelligible meandering plots with creative storytelling. It's just become one big piece of narrative flab.

I used to be a huge fan. Now I just find it stupid, silly and boring.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Look, this is all a matter of opinion. It's not like anyone can pull out stats to back their case. But yeah, I think Lost is a brilliant, challenging show that takes an approach to storytelling that has rarely if ever been seen before on television. It tackles the big philosophical debates -- fate vs. free will, faith vs. science -- while still managing to be highly entertaining. I'm not saying The Wire isn't great, I'm just saying there are a few shows out there that are in the same league.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, Joe, we'll have to agree to disagree.

There are no philosophical debates on Lost. It's a bunch of pseudo-intellectual hocus pocus.

Inexplicable and complicated plot lines that go off on tangents don't lend the show any gravitas--contrary to what the hundreds of Lost message boards would like us to think.

And the entertainment value has plummeted in my opinion. For the first season it was probably the only "must see" show for me. Now I watch it because HC does.

Draft saved Draft deleted