1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The laziest sports radio station on earth.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Oct 8, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The following really happened this afternoon in the town where I work.

The local "sports talk" station, which plays mostly Fox network stuff, has added local sports headlines, perhaps starting today. (I hadn't heard them before today, anyhow.)

The second item, after updating the weekend results for the area SEC teams: "The deadline for submitting nominations for the (my newspaper's name here) athletes of the week is Tuesday."

He then proceeded to give my prep guy's phone number and e-mail address.

Then, he went on to recapping a cross country race from Saturday.

That beat all I've ever heard, in terms of rip-and-read.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In other news, Charlie Brown attempted a field goal but Lucy pulled the ball back...I don't know if its lazyness. The radio station might call it "cross-promotion" or "synergy" and be grateful the radio station acknowledged the theft and didn't say WFOX has learned...

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That would be great. "WFOX has learned that the deadline for submitting all-area nominations to the Daily Times is ... "

4. HejiraHenry

Well, they did it without asking us.
    Usually "synergy" works best with both partners on board.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I suppose it's kind of cheap and amateurish, but it DID get the news out to another audience that those were wanted, so it's really ultimately a help, right?

This whole crossover thing is interesting, and perhaps something for another thread. But when I started online in 1997, we didn't even acknowledge the existence of other websites.

Now we link to all sorts of places out of stories where appropriate, except for our biggest competitors. And a lot of places link to us.

Oddly, in those old days, we'd perhaps contact places that used our links without permission, when all they were doing was driving eyeballs to our site. Seems dumb that it bothered us in the least in retrospect.

If they're plugging your paper, really, what's the harm?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Radio stations steal shit from newspapers all the time.

We had a brief about the local American Legion team, and actually misspelled the name of the winning pitcher on the other team to the point where it'd be mispronounced if sounded out our way (Frankton instead of Frankson, for example).

Radio boy pronounced it our wrong way. We were wrong, but he was busted.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

OK, so you're not working in synergy, but what's wrong with that?

The message is getting out, and he's referring them to you, for a good reason in the community.

Not like it's plagiarism or something.

Why the beef?

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Aren't all sports radio stations tied for the laziest on earth, anyway?

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Few years ago, we had a radio station that made it obvious that they were reading their news reports by reading our paper on the air, somewhat.

A quick letter from our managing editor, with the promise of attorney action, put a stop to that pretty quick.

This is nothing like that, though.

10. boots

boots New Member

TV and radio GET their news from newspapers. Been that way and will continue to remain that way.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If they credit you, you shouldn't have a beef with it. In fact, that's the ultimate badge of honor.

I think what's funny about this story is not that the radio is getting it's news from the paper. That happens all the time. It's that this isn't even news. It's a notice for people to send in all-region nominations ... TO ANOTHER MEDIA OUTLET.

I think that's flat-out hilarious.

12. HejiraHenry

Draft saved Draft deleted