1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'laziest generation'?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that drawing this parallel and dismissing the concern is almost lazy at this point. There are valid concerns about social networking and other assorted gadgetry and their effect on society and the brain that should be studied and addressed, not dismissed as just a repeat of history. There were also, by the way, valid concerns about television that were eventually addressed. Like people using it to babysit young children. Watch an episode of "Mad Men" to see how it used to be. Would you have made the Gutenberg crack then, too?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course. (And in your example, it's worth noting that "Mad Men" is likely written and produced by people whose parents used TV as a babysitter.)

Are all new technologies double edged? Certainly.

Do all "social media" make us lazy? No. Just ask the Arabs who used it last spring to bring down one oppressive regime after another.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's really all I'm saying.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This isn't a lazy generation. It's a generation that's been brought up on technology and innovation and taught, really, to live and work for the moment.

The biggest thing for me is that neither Gen X nor Gen Y were really called to make a sacrifice. Our parents and grandparents had World War II and Vietnam. Yeah, we've had our wars too, and yes people volunteered. But that's because we fight our battles differently now.

After 9/11, we were called to spend, visit New York and do other economy building things. Some sacrifice.

I think my generation's (I'm a Gen X'er) moment will come in the next 20-30 years and it more than likely will be financial and long-lasting. We'll probably be the first generation to go without Social Security and we'll probably be the postergrandparents for future generations.

And that scares the living shit out of me.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suppose all this stuff is fine in perspective, keep up with your "friends" and such. (On a side note, how the hell can someone have 1,200 friends?)

But it's not journalism, not news. Just because technology allows someone to spout off every 15 seconds doesn't mean they have anything worthwhile to say.

Same for message boards. That is all.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And that's likely because you've spent big amounts of time showing him that there ARE other fun things to do outside the house and/or things that might require some physical motion.
    Well done, Mizzou!
    This is not only the dumbest, Lee Jackson, but the laziest, as well.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

True, but it's also a great way to meet like-minded people, too. I haven't met many people from SportsJournalists.com in person, but I've had some great conversations with them. I consider many of them as better friends than the people I interact with on a daily/regular basis.

The world is continuing with its evolution. It was once considered flat, then round. It's now virtual. You don't need to talk to your neighbor across the fence. You can talk to somebody else in another time zone that actually knows what they're talking about, rather than hearing your gasbag douche of a neighbor spew talking points from some partisan publication/broadcast.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This thread is a good time to mention a recent story in the New Yorker. It's only available online to subscribers. So fill out the little card and mail it in or, if you're too lazy for that, go online. It's worth the little extra money, if for no other reason you can debate Boom in Grantland threads about how it compares to Simmons' site.

This story was about technology pioneer Jaron Lanier, a brilliant, eccentric guy whose job now is to basically dream up big things for Microsoft. But he's long been considered a tech genius. But he also has some concerns about what technology, especially social networking, can do.

Some lines from the story:
    When talking about Anthony Weiner.

And some more choice quotes:
    He gave a speech where he asked everyone not to write, text or tweet during it.

And finally:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/07/11/110711fa_fact_kahn

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's never a good idea to use the words "dick" and "texting" in the same sentence.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That chick blew past me going 70 the other day, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

GET OFF MY LAWN!

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

and maybe get a handjob.

Draft saved Draft deleted