1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'laziest generation'?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's quite true, although it's hardly unique to today.

I was reading a book about an American writer who hired a couple of natives to travel across Siberia by car. Their vehicle was unreliable as hell (not what you would want to take on a 6,000-mile trip). Broke down several times. Each time one of the natives would tinker under the hood, sometimes pick up some scrap metal they found on the side of the road, and get it running again.

Whom do you know --- whom does any of us know? --- that could do that? Or any repair. We just call a tow truck and let an expert figure it out.

Once upon a time people built their own homes. Who on earth knows how to do that?

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Damn kids. Always with the texting and tweeting. Oh for the days where people did things like amazing things like settle the great plains and die of dysentery.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Even more depressing... I don't have kids, but I've heard this story. Two best friends, back seat of the car, on their phones texting.

The girls are awfully quiet... then the person realized they were texting EACH OTHER. Sitting in the back of the car, right next to each other, yet they're on the phones. Most likely it was done so the people in the car couldn't hear what they were talking about, but good God...

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If we have posters complain about spending 20 minutes sending a clips package via email, you can't do anything to change their view.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Wall Street Journal had an excellent column about this a couple weeks ago, in response to the President's comment that we have structural problems in our job market because of automation replacing workers.

The short answer is no. More jobs for humans are still being created. They just require critical thinking skills more than manual labor.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's the big deal? Children should be seen and not heard.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Not sure there. While there are plenty of slack-jawed idiots to go around, there's also this impressive section of kids who seem to absorb information at a much faster rate than I could ever imagine when I was little.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A kid in the neighborhood who my son goes to school with invited him over for a birthday party. My son is 5. The whole family went.

It was a gorgeous day. The kids did nothing but play video games the whole time we were there. They had to be dragged away to even have cake.

I don't think I've ever been so thrilled to see my son bored when they were playing video games. After two hours he came to me and said, "Daddy, I want to go home and play on my climber."

So we bowed out and my kids played outside for a couple hours. What a concept.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've heard the argument that they're more advanced than we were because they know their way around a computer.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Nothing like a thread about the "laziest generation" being filled with lazy generalizations about said generation.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's limited to that generation, either. There are lots of Facebook zombies in their 30's and 40's, too. I'd love to see some gender studies. It seems to me - and just generalizing here - that women have really taken to social media. Which is somewhat surprising as men always used to be the gadget obsessives. Generally speaking, of course.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There are plenty of dumb and/or lazy people across generations, as there always has been. Technology and social media just allow people to show everyone how dumb/lazy they are more easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted