1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'laziest generation'?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Will our generation leave a lasting legacy or just millions of snarky tweets?

I definitely don't disagree with the columnist here, evidenced by my numerous complaints on here whenever a big news event is followed by stories about what people were saying on Twitter and Facebook.

I guess it's hypocritical because I post on here, and somewhat Luddite-ish of me, but I like social media less and less every day. Like the columnist here, I don't like what it has done to us.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/18/obeidallah.laziest.generation/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree with the writer. Most of the stuff I have read on Facebook and Twitter is just nonsense. If I ever do find a cure for cancer, I'll also find a more appropriate place to announce it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sportscenter has gotten fucking ridiculous with the fucking tweets. I completely don't give a shit about Obama or anybody else's tweets.

4. poindexter

I have another message board I post on. We have a running thread about the inane facebook posts. It's hilarious. Or sad.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

AMEN. sadly, social networks are here to stay. i, too, take part , obviously, here and via facebook. there's no putting the ketchup back in the bottle and IMPOSSIBLE to resist, 'unless you enjoy feeling left in the dust.

but this is ABSOLUTELY the greatest example of 'progress' not being in favor of our children in terms of education and deveoping REAL, face-to-face social skills. and that sucks.

now, no doubt many, many, MANY advances in the history of man were greeted with similar concerns by 'elder' generations, from first radio to then television to the internet even without the social networking.

civilzation survived those 'advances,' and will 'survive' this one, too. but this latest one hast perfected fusing all previous ones into one place. and no doubt negatively impact the reading development of our children, heck, every thought process there is. there's never a need -- or hardly ever -- to actually figure things out for yourself. hit a button, get the answer. hit another button, make a faceless friend who can turn themselves into anyone.

the horrifying reality of all this reality is it sets us all up to be lied to and deceived and deprived of actual human contact more than EVER.

i feel like such an incredibly old fart expressing this. but none of this is a good thing, imho.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

It started with AIM.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This reminds me of that box Jim Carrey's Joker invented in the Batman movie. Turned everyone into slack-jawed vegetables. I fear that's where we're headed with all this.

BTW, I love the term "slacktivist".

8. poindexter

We went on vacation last week. My teenage daughter always brings her best friend. The girl is very nice, but damn it if every possible second we weren't on the lake she had that text machine in her hand. Even at in n out.

Kinda depressing.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is this her?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

And not the laziest generation. Just The Dumbest.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

One hundred years ago, kids worked in factories. Fifty years ago, men 18 to 30 got drafted and women still primarily stayed at home and started a family instead of going to college. As we continue to advance technologically, I think we're going to eventually hit a point when most manual labor we do now is automated. What do we do then? Have we already hit a point where some people simply aren't needed by society to work?

Draft saved Draft deleted