1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LAT's top writer moves on, and burns some bridges...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Feb 11, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...Pulitzer winner Dan Neil, IMO the No. 1 writer at the paper, is jumping to the WSJ. And he explains why in a fantastic inter-office memo today.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/02/dan_neil_hits_the_road_lo.php#more

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think any bridges are burned. That's one hell of a memo.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

To cross threads a little: This thread headline really does need some engangered copy editor to get to work on it.

That memo didn't burn any bridges -- none that matter to Dan Neil, anyway. Heck, it's practically a love letter -- and one that expresses the sentiments of many who have left the LAT in the past few years.

It'll earn him a standing O as he walks out the door from anyone still left in the building.

And besides, Neil's stuff still will get priority there...Remember what paper recently was given rights to the most important press runs at the LAT...

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Is that intentional irony?

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes, check the title of that thread, and then read that thread...You'll understand.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Got it. Missed that the first time around over there. Whoops on my part.

As for the topic at hand, I love the memo. Always admire someone who's not afraid to go out firing. And previous posters were absolutely right, no bridges burned. It's not like anyone's surprised Dan Neil isn't going to become a "fan" of Sam Zell on Facebook.

7. tmr

tmr Member

Yeah, telling Zell and Co. to fuck off is being nice. I would imagine every Tribune employee would like a clean shot at their "grilles," to quote the memo.

8. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

Well, Neil may not join an FB fan page for Sam Zell (um, he'd have to create one, first) but y'all can join an FB fan page for Neil: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2384665820&ref=search&sid=25714483.2325938993..1&v=info

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Publishers the world over will be confused by what he's inferring.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they gave Pulitzers for memos, that would be a winner.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'd love to be at the Redwood tonight at 5 p.m. That's seven hours from now, East Coast to West. Wonder if I can make it.

Draft saved Draft deleted