1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LAT's new design critiqued as "Ransom Note" ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Wow, you hit that one out of the park ... nicely done.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of design? I am talking a publication's overall look, as opposed to an individual layout.

I think the purpose is a distinctive look that not only allows an existing customer to identify it as your product amid all the others for sale on a newsstand, but also tells a potential customer what kind of reading experience he can expect if he buys it. I think the LAT design succeeds at both, to my knowledge the only retro look in SoCal and the only locally produced product whose design says "serious content in here."

Whether a design is attractive is a subjective question. Readers are not aware of the "rules" that we use to judge it. The LAT clearly has made a decision not to try to attract readers' attention by screaming at them; given that restriction, I think the designer did his or her job, and whether the look appeals to my prejudices is irrelevant.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What they're getting is a mishmash of old and new, and it looks worse than the Post-Dispatch's redesign, and considering how pissed I am at what they did to my hometown paper, that is saying something.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Since the Trib Co. seems to be holding the LAT hostage, I find the metaphor appropos.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Old design or new, the Times has always, always done that.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah, this isn't anything new, here.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. Though I preferred what they had before. It just said "L.A. Times" to me. This is fine.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yesterday, Times sports cover had ANOTHER feature on cricket (first one was 2 weeks ago). Their space decreases, but they have cover space for CRICKET?????

9. MileHigh

Well, they've somewhat got Chuck Culpepper on staff, no, so might as well use him. Speaking of Times sports, where has Bill Plaschke been? His last column was the Super Bowl, but he's been on Around the Horn and such, but not in print, which is odd, especially with USC and UCLA in the Sweet 16.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Good question. Don't know where Plaschke is. IMO, he had been in about a four-month slump ... lousy, pointless columns or really going after something and getting it wrong. He had to back track on a couple of columns after info came out later that torched his point.

11. MileHigh

Yup, namely Marion Jones.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Heard Plaschke is writing a book ...

Draft saved Draft deleted