1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest travel suggestion thread: Seattle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

feed the moose.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's also Fleet Week. Grab some Ivar's fish and chips and check out the ships. That will wipe out a day.

3. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

Check out Kerry Park on top of Queen Anne hill for a knockout view of the city. Can't beat it on a nice day.

Hard to go wrong with coffee in Seattle (unless it's Starbucks), but my favorite, Caffe Fiore, is a five-minute walk from Kerry Park on West Galer Street.

Ferry rides between Seattle and Bainbridge Island or Bremerton are great, as well.

4. joe

joe Active Member

This.^^^

EMP was a disappointment.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Also - Columbia Center (tallest building in Seattle) has an observation deck. Not sure if they charge to access, but if the weather is clear, the view will be incredible.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. That Duck Tour sounds like a good one. I'll probably check out the EMP although it hasn't gotten good reviews on here. Also, they have the Science Fiction Museum there (I remember it was referenced at the William Shatner roast). Has anybody been there?

BTW, I came back to check on this thread and I noticed an ad for a Seattle CityPass that gives you admission to to a bunch of the popular attractions in the town. Wow, once in a great while, you can get an ad that's halfway useful.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Ebbetts Field Flannel shop on Occidental Street on Pioneer Square is neat if you're into EFF material.

I would highly recommend the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field if you're into airplanes. Awfully good pizza at "Big Time" inthe U Distict.

The ships along the sound at Bremerton are cool too. Too bad the Missouri's not there anymore, they moved it to Pearl Harbor several years ago.

Weather lately has been outstanding.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, I forgot to ask about Ebbets Field Flannels and whether there was still a store there. I'll definitely try to check that place out.

I'll probably be seeing Bremerton too, since my sis will be going there.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

When we were there last September, you got into the EMP and Science Fiction Museum with one ticket. I think it was $15 for both. I'm not a SciFi geek but I liked it better than the EMP. I made two trips to the EMP gift shop and think I spent more time in there than I did anywhere else. Bought some cool Beatles stuff and got the wife a T-shirt since she was at a conference.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Forgot about the sci fi museum. And the boeing museum.

Seattle is a pretty cool city.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Alki Beach is a nice place to take a walk.

Mount Si is a relatively easy hike and provides nice westward views.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just got back Saturday from 4 days in Seattle and 5 days on Orcas Island (one of the San Juan Islands north).

Do you have a couple of days to spare? Go up to the San Juan Islands somehow (2 hrs north on I5 then 1 hr ferry to an island). Took a whale watching trip in Puget Sound and was right there with Orcas; unforgettable. Orcas Island was a beautiful wooded island with a gorgeous lake, Cascade Lake.)

We only spent 45 mins. in the Music/Sci Fi Museum; the Avatar exhibit was fascinating and worth the admission. We bought the CityPass and it was worth it since we did everything in it. Aquarium is underrated, the seals are great to see and its a great location. Ferry ride was enjoyable, comfortable, easy (we took a Duck Tour in Alaska and did not enjoy). Science Museum was great for the kids. Avoid the lines, do the Space Needle at night (8 or 9 is a great time), ride the Monorail.

Museum of Flight is worth a trip (my boys love Air & Space in DC and loved this; take bus, NOT lightrail);

Boeing Tour (different) in Everett was fascinating, you get to see the 747s and 787s being built and learn about Boeing; I'd highly recommend this.

Go to the Lochs if you can. I remember Snoqualmie Falls is nice.

Enjoy; Seattle is a great visit. Remember though, summer high is 78 and overcast skies and rain always around the corner.

Draft saved Draft deleted