1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest problem facing the GOP: Massive embezzlement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://tinyurl.com/26ers2

So basically, he picked the NRCC's pocket for over 10 percent of its budget. And he did it by faking audits:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us/politics/14repubs.html?hp

The WaPost reports today that the fraud may have run as high as $1 million.

And how did he do this? Turns out the information was out there for just anybody to find, like Daily Kos did ... oh, about two years ago, although at the time they didn't know who Christopher J. Ward was or what they had uncovered.

Here's an interactive map of the Ward connections ... as Ben Bradlee once said, follow the money (or at least, the connections).

http://www.muckety.com/Christopher-J-Ward-and-NRCC-connections/A29985274713D770857C969320338C34.map?big=true

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, war profiteering makes all this look like used tissue paper, but, hey . . .

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And you actually think that if the Libbies get solid control of both houses that they won't do immediately what they did for 40 years prior and the Republicans unfortunately did for the time they had control of both houses - which is to continue to play politics? Sure you do. Fenian all but said it on another post when he wants to pull out the plugs on indictments against the, um, "opposition."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You say problem. I say opportunity.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

You had that opportunity for decades and you "played the game."

There's no doubt you'll do it again if given the chance. And the bulk of Americans won't take it from either party if it happens with a major power shift.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Call the bastards on it, whenever it happens. Right now, these specific bastards have been identified. Deal with it.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

I'm sorry, Yawn, but this isn't about Red vs. Blue. It's about one person's theft of close to a million dollars.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hey, I wouldn't mind hanging every bastard that does this in the name of public trust. As long as we're consistent.

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

OK. Name a Democratic equivalent to Mr. Ward.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

Is there anything you can't make divisive?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

EE, that's why I already dropped a Kenworth on him. He, in response, closed that door and good on 'im for that. We could all get along better if that door remains firmly closed. Mmm-K?

Moving on ...

Anybody care to speculate on how badly this hurts the GOP HofR campaigns this fall?

And just out of curiousity, does anybody know what the penalty for embezzlement on this scale is?

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I'd say the HRC campaign manager who burned through $120 or $130 million before Super Tuesday deserves to be in the conversation, even if what she did wasn't criminal. The people who gave the money might have a different opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted