1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Latest on Jason Collins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 9, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Howard Beck of the Times checks in. Does he find a job?

2. YankeeFan

His former fiance speaks with Cosmo:

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jeez Louise, how about waiting for Andrew Bynum to find a gig first?

Collins is quite a bit down the list.

But you know that.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe he should be considered the "first bisexual" professional athlete.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"first openly bisexual active professional athlete"

Players of Collins' ability typically are the last to sign free agent contracts. Signing season hasn't even officially begun. Honestly, this isn't a story unless we reach October and he's still unsigned.

I think it would be a pretty big surprise if he's signed within the next 30 days.

6. Boom_70

Adding "openly" makes sense.

Seems like he would be a perfect signing for The Nets in the quest to take over
    NY.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know you don't consider copying and pasting someone else's copyrighted journalism to be disrespectful, but what you have in your first post there goes well beyond any presentation of a sample of the work.

Not to mention that you fail to adhere to the board rule that states that you should offer some opinion of your own.

8. Boom_70

After reading the link to Cosmo article I just don't see how Collins should be
    celebrated or become a sympathetic figure. I mean the guy spent 8 years with
    this poor girl and essentially lead her on and used her as an elaborate cover.

He's ruined her life and that of her family and friends. Surprised that woman's
    groups are not all over this.

9. YankeeFan

I do find it odd that given how planned out this story was, he didn't even tell the ex that an article was coming out the same day.

He had Casey Wasserman help arrange for a Presidential statement of support, but couldn't give her a heads up that she was about to face an avalanche of attention?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is it even a legitimate story if he's unsigned in October?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If I'm a Rockets regular-season or potential playoff opponent, I sign him as 12th man not because of the publicity (although that would be a PR boon) but because he can use six fouls on Dwight Howard and ruin Houston's offense. He's good at playing hard and hacking.

12. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

David Stern reportedly runs his league with a heavy hand, and I imagine that he would not want the NBA to be perceived as shutting out the first openly gay team athlete, however fair or unfair that perception might be. I suspect Arn Tellem is not the only one making phone calls to attempt to assure that Collins signs somewhere this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted