1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest media blamer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Saint Louis president Fr. Lawrence Biondi, who hid behind a weak-ass statement when he fired Brad Soderberg, said he'd already have Rick Majerus hired if it wasn't for all those snooping media members.

"Biondi said the deal might have been done sooner if the "media had kept its nose out" of the discussions. "We may have had this done on Monday or Tuesday,'' he said in brief comments to a St. Louis Press Club meeting that he had been scheduled to attend months ago to discuss the school's new on-campus arena."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/slu/story/0150D1CED3F5D9F8862572CA0013E9BE?OpenDocument

The media does its job better than this clown

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What's a billiken?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I bet there's just a full-throttle media stampede to find out who St. Louis University is going to hire for its new basketball coach. Batten down the hatches.

And I'm sure it's going to foul up the hire of Majerus, because he has so many other offers to consider, you know. ::) ::)

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Fixed, although I like the unintentional comedy of the original.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

We are an asset to those who win and/or play the right way.

We are only a nuissance to those who have something to hide.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

99.99 percent of the time blaming the media is the coward's way

7. Starman

If Fr. Biondi is all hot to hire Majerus, I hope he has a Plan B in mind, because if he hires Majerus today, the odds are about 47% he won't be on the sidelines in October, for one reason or another.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've never understood the fascination with Majerus.

When his name was being tossed about for the Iowa job, the message boards were lit up with people all excited that he might be coming here, not realizing that...
    A. He probably wouldn't have made it to the beginning of the season (as Starman suggested).
    B. He hates dealing with fans, and from what I understand is more of an insufferable prick than the previous coach at Iowa was.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Majerus is on TV - he never loses. Plus he's funny!
    So a priest is calling out the press? I wonder why a priest has such a problem with the nosy press? A Catholic priest is the last person who should be complaining about anyone sticking a body part where it doesn't belong.
    Disclaimer - I am Catholic and the preceding was meant in jest God. Pleaz no lightning bolts.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

More fixed?

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Majerus has been hired. Guess the media didn't have that much of an impact after all.

12. Starman

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2851583

Obviously Majerus himself didn't have any problem with leaking the story to the media.

Draft saved Draft deleted