1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest issue of 'Play'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Oct 27, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

From the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2007/10/28/sports/playmagazine/index.html

Including a fine piece by Michael Lewis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/sports/playmagazine/28lewis.html?_r=1&ref=playmagazine&oref=slogin

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

Must read: "The Noise is Killing Me", by Richard Ford

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The Michael Lewis piece was good, Jmac, but a little long for me. When I drifted into the 7-8 page range, I was already over the story. Unlike some long pieces which have you hooked beginning to end, I dragged a bit. Great writing, though. He has some killer lines...

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Michael Lewis on the back page of SI would be outstanding.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lewis and Ford pieces were excellent. Piece on Alberto Salazar was very good. The rest was not of much interest, at least to me.

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

have only read the piece on Nash, but it's the best piece on the NBA i've seen anywhere recently. But Klosterman's take in ESPN the mag is very good, too. I'm really coming around on Klosterman - at least on hoops.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you go by the quotes in the Nash story, writer should've called the magazine and said he was writing about Baron Davis instead. Not as good a player, but definitely funnier.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Is there a way to only subscribe to Play?

9. Mira

Mira Member

I think the only NY Times section you can subscribe separately to is the Books Review. I guess I look at "Play" as being much like the Sunday magazine, and all the special travel, home and fashion sections they do throughout the year. They're all super nice, but you're not going to get them unless you subscribe ... but you can subscribe on a Sunday-only basis.

No, I don't work for the NY Times.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr F,

Just subscribe to Play? When did you start worrying about your carbon footprint?

YHS, etc

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A minor nitpick, but some of the Lewis text about the Dempsey record game seemed familiar. He picked up some of the descriptions from a Dempsey interview in Football Digest. I only point this out because Lewis notes he was all of 9 years old when he attended the game:

Lewis:
    "The ball would need to cut through the thick, humid New Orleans air and into the closed end of Tulane Stadium, where the wind swirled unpredictably. "

Dempsey interview:
    "When I lined up to kick my record-setting 63 yard field goal in 1970, we had the ball in the closed-in area of Tulane Stadium. The winds in that stadium sometimes would swirl and push balls wide to the left or wide to the right. The stadium was shaped like a big horseshoe, open at one end of the stadium and closed at the other."

Draft saved Draft deleted