1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest from ESPN's ombudsman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3148853">
    The talks about coverage of the Bonds indictment, the Sean Taylor death and the Miles-to-Michigan story.</a>

The nutgraph explaining Herbstreit's reporting:

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i love when ex-jocks fuck up the reporting. poetic justice.

she's a terrific writer. reasoned and eloquent.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

She is so damn good at what she does. Sure, she reminds me of my third-grade teacher, but damn if she doesn't work ESPN over when she needs to...

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cowherd gets another lump of coal and Doria sounds like he is defending bad practices.

5. Desmond Howard, right?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Best thing they've got going . . . until she gets tired of leaning into the 70 MPH headwind.

7. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

very nice

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That Herbie stuff still cracks me up. And not in a good way.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Excellent writing, as is the norm for Ms. Schreiber.

However, is there a reason why she's compacting such a high volume of content into one column?

Maybe it's my short attention span when it comes to reading online work, but it sure seems as though the Sean Taylor piece could stand alone, and same goes for the following notes on Bonds and Miles.

Why not break up those pieces and publish more often? I'd like to think you could garner more impact with a higher frequency column than just one that is laden with several different topics, ones that are worthy of their own audience.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Love her one graph:

"To my mind, Herbstreit, a former Ohio State quarterback and not an experienced reporter, was less to blame for this ill-founded scoop than the senior College GameDay producers who should have advised him against going on air with such shaky information instead of convincing him it was his journalistic obligation to share with viewers what "a source" had told him."

Boo-yah! Except she can spank them all she wants, they're ultimately not going to care, and will continue to let loose cannons like Herbie pretend to be serious reporters -- and be wrong.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She's very, very good.

I will say this - I have no problem with Doria's defense on the Bonds coverage. They're not expecting anyone to watch the whole thing, and the day two special was likely more interesting than a day old "Sportscenter" and a best of Mike and Mike. (I would have been inclined to dump out of it in time for the football pre-game show, though.) It's not simply a question of the news value of Bonds -- at some point in TV, you have to decide if it's better than the programming it's replacing, and if it is you'll be more likely to let the "breaking news" run long.

Beyond that, I think she's dead-on, and Doria's defense of Herbstreit is absurd. To suggest that not running an uncorroborated one-anonymous-source report would somehow be "withholding information" is a joke.

Always good to see Cowherd reamed. At some point he clearly decided that it would be a good career move to act like a know-it-all asshole. He wasn't always like that. It isn't an improvement, and he has gone from mediocre to unlistenable.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I haven't listened to Cowherd for about a year. Something in his demeanor took a nasty left turn a while back, and I just don't care to tune in to his show now.

Draft saved Draft deleted