1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest from Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Screwball, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

"I found myself on the field rubbing elbows with the players from my favorite team, thanks solely to B/R."

::)

http://blog.bleacherreport.com/2012/10/31/how-br-saved-me-from-a-career-i-didnt-like/

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He's the "featured columnist" for the A's, and even got to go to a few games in person. Awesome!

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Happy for the guy that he found something he enjoys doing. But the phrase "B/R Sportswriting Internship" is terrifying.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

BR even sent me to cover a few A’s games from the press box, with field access prior to game time.

FAIL.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

How so? Isn't "prior to" a preposition meaning before? Reporters have field access before games.

6. Riptide

Stylebook. Avoid bureaucratic coptalk. Just use "before."

How many people say "prior to" in real situations?
    Besides NFL officials and Joe Buck, I mean. They're beyond repair.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It astounds me how many journalists don't understand that the stylebook is only applicable to publications committing to it. It is not some universal arbiter of grammar and semantics.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A's AND the WWE!

9. Riptide

Fair point. On the other hand, you would sound like Joe Buck.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But you can read a lot of newspapers that make similar poor word choice. And before any gets angry at me, BR has much worse writing than newspapers.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Philadelphia newspapers, as great as they are and with as much editorial talent as they have, just sold for 55M. And Bleacher Report just sold for 200M.

Which I believe definitively proves the world has gone to hell in a handbasket.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd bet $10,000 this guy doesn't make $10,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted