1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 12, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

E-4 in my book too. It's possible for a fielder to receive an error for both the fielding & throwing phases of play so it should be possible to give him an error for one phase, regardless of how difficult the other phase was.

But I was always tougher on infielders than outfielders.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Agreed. If the fielder booted while diving for it, it would be a hit because of the effort just to get to the ball. After that it comes down to where the runner is. If the throw wouldn't have beaten the runner anyway, it's a hit. But if the fielder would have gotten the runner out after making the spectacular play, it's an error.
    In my book, it's an error because the runner may have been out anyway were it not for the throw.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I would check with the home book and go with what they scored the play as.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Is this a high-school game? If the scorekeeper/science teacher likes the kid, it'll be a hit. If she doesn't, error.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Throwing the ball in the dirt isn't always an error. Did the 1B make the scoop?
    If the play turns from routine to anything else at any point, it doesn't become an error.

Draft saved Draft deleted