1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Ship

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tarheel316, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Thoughts? I liked the first episode and feel the series has great potential. It does deviate some from William Brinkley's book but still looks promising. Plus, having Rhona Mitra on my TV screen is a real good thing.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gave it a shot with the first episode tonight. Not completely sold, but saw enough that I liked to give it a few episodes.

Had a little bit of a Battlestar Galactica feel to it. One military vessel dealing with catastrophic circumstances. Simple survival, particularly the acquisition of resources, seems like it will be a challenge. Questions about who can be trusted.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Galactica was way better.
    I will give it time to catch its footing, but meh so far.

4. outofplace

Not even close to Galactica in quality. I just meant that there are some similar concepts.

5. Tarheel316

Have you read the book?

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It seems like something I'd like — post-apocalyptic books and shows and stuff like that — though Sepinwall panned it in his review on his podcast. Glad others seem to like it more.

7. outofplace

Nope. Aside from a few commercials, I came into the pilot knowing nothing about it. Good read?

By the way, when I say the pilot wasn't close to Battlestar Galactica, that is not a slam. Galactica is one of my top three or four favorite shows I've ever watched and I can't think of a series that started stronger.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thoroughly enjoyed the book when I read it years ago.

About to watch the pilot on the DVR... hoping it doesn't suck.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

UPDATE -- Having just finished said pilot, it (thankfully) did not suck. If it comes even close to the level of the book, I guess I'm in.

10. Tarheel316

It's a great read. I like the genre anyway. Jericho is my favorite. I have watched the series six times. As for Last Ship, the conflict between the captain and XO should be one of the drivers of the series just as it was in the book. It was well played in the first episode.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sting has a musical out, which is running in Chicago now, prior to its Broadway premier:

http://broadwayinchicago.com/show/the-last-ship/

Thought this was going to be about that.

12. outofplace

I'll have to check it out. Been trying to find something for my next book. It can be interesting to read a book as you watch the story unfold on television. I did that with the second season of Game of Thrones.

Draft saved Draft deleted