1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last print subscriber

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Sep 22, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We get the Sunday paper as part of the digital subscription. I don't think I've looked at it in three months. My son likes the comics, though.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the main reason for me.

And I still believe newspapers that don't utilize Facebook identification for comments are ridiculous. Anonymous, toxic comments turn a lot more people off than keep them reading.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

My subscription is up in March. Me and Pretty Wife have decided we're done.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What do you mean that the Web version is harder to read? That seems like a paper-specific issue. There's no reason it has to be that way.

I don't know of any inherent, universal advantage that a print product has over a Web site or tablet. I do get a little tired of looking at a screen.

Can you build a marketing campaign around that? "Easier on the eyes."

5. jr/shotglass

If you're marketing to the 60-and-over crowd that reads the newspapers these days ... yes.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This thread leads me to believe that daily home delivery will not be around in five years. If this group has abandoned daily home delivery who is left?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It'll be home delivered - on tablets. And that's probably as it should be at this point. The market has spoken.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Whitman has spoken!

Since it is easier for him, then it should be easier for all.

Much like Ikea's Book Book, a paper has several huge advantages over a website or tablet or any other electronic device.

It never runs out of power. Shareable as multiple users can have different sections of the paper. At the same time.

The inherent ranking and display of print copy lets you easily determine importance and good labeling lets you determine what kind of story you are or going to read.

Display advertising enhances the reading experience as good ads make a paper better and the paper can be cornerstone in the shared conversation.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Shotglass, I'm sure you remember when the AP used to send out its "Under 35" digest each day. The idea being that newspapers should try to stress content for younger readers, so they will someday pick up the subscriptions that go away when older readers die off.

Pre-recession, there used to be discussion at my and other newsrooms about luring in younger readers. That was so 2007.

It's all about survival by any means necessary these days, and that means targeting the older readers who still buy the product. Short-sighted? Sure, but it keeps the doors open one more day, and that's about as far ahead as we look in my shop, anyway.

10. jr/shotglass

Hey, I agree with you. And the fact that I'm counting down nine years makes me agree with you even more.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think we're on the same countdown.

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

None of my family live in our circulation area and I doubt they get the print edition where they live. I quit buying the area metro in racks when it went to $2.

Draft saved Draft deleted