1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last print subscriber

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Should Coco, Sep 22, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Washington Examiner was owned by a billionaire with just about bottomless pockets, who bought up a chain of local papers and consolidated them. The Examiner's local news coverage was actually really good, better than you could get in the Post or the Times, anyway.

It also locked in a number of huge advertisers to multi-year contracts.

It bought up a lot of prominent political columnists and reporters, albeit ones with a very specific ideology.

Their print distribution model centered on being free AND home-delivered, and targeted specific neighborhoods populated with people in coveted demographics.

Even with all that, the Examiner's print edition lasted eight years before folding last year.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Interesting points Dick Whitman and Morris 816 to which both I agree have some validity. I don't think anyone here believes the "print" product is going to stick around forever. I sure don't. But I do think in certain areas and situations there is more longevity for it than in other places.

Good discussion going here.

Draft saved Draft deleted