1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Gladiators

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, May 4, 2014.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Just a heads-up...if you feel like spending a couple hours watching some really interesting stuff, check out The Last Gladiators on Netflix. About Chris Nilan and others careers as enforcers in the NHL and about Nilan's post-career battle with drug and alcohol abuse. Some great classic fight footage.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ben. I'll check it out.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Wanted to see it ever since it premiered at TIFF a few years back.

Does the movie talk about Nilan's inlaws?

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

It doesn't...I think that should be an entire movie all on its own. It is more about Nilan and how his role with Montreal effected him. Amazing that a kid from Boston, that grew up rooting for the Bruins, ended up so dedicated to the Canadians. It's a pretty sad movie. Wish they went into the Donald Brashear incident more than it did, but it covered quite a bit. Tony Twist and his story is amazing...especially his feelings about fighting today.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Watched it yesterday, was going to post something on here about it until I saw this thread. Real good documentary. I quite enjoyed it. Absolutely recommend it. Gives good insight into not just the life of enforcers during their playing career, but the aftermath. No, not everyone of them goes through the same hell that Nilan has since his career, but it is a story that is all to common and tragic.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Know a guy who played for Nilan in the minors, said he killed time on bus trips jacked up on painkillers and watching tapes of his old fights. Said he loved to try and intimidate opposing coaches, only guy he wouldn't try it on was John Brophy, who may still be one of the toughest people alive even though he is in his 80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted