1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Days of Tony Harris

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, Jan 9, 2008.

1. statrat

statrat Member

Wright Thompson combines some solid reporting with his unique style and comes up with a dynamite piece. Now if the Seattle Times had actually spent the time to send a reporter and photographer down to do this story, perhaps they would actually be making money.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3187165

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Writing = A+

But, I had a hard time following what actually happened to Tony Harris. If I had some background going in on the guy, it would have been great read. But, I am reading about this guy who is paranoid and I don't know much about him. I eventually figured it out, but it took away from the story.

Still, reporting and writing are A+. Wish I knew more of the story before I started the piece.

3. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

best thing by Mr. Thompson in a while. Exceptionally well-done.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wright certainly stays consistent in not speaking with his subjects. :D

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Uh, isn't the guy dead?

6. txscoop

txscoop Member

Solid..Solid article

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So ESPN is too cheap to spring for a seance?

8. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Is that you, Tom Petty?

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Yeah, still reading it. But man, I'm hooked....

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I found this to be all kinds of ridiculous. At the first Conrad reference, I strapped in and read it like Rachel Nichols reports one her NFL bits.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Jesus, what a story. As always, Wright did an excellent job of paint the picture and getting the reader emotionally involved -- Good God, I can't imagine the state of hell Harris' mind was in, and never want to -- but the only thing that I have against the piece was that there's no real background information. Was there a family history of mental illness? Did Tony exhibit signs of depression or bi-polar disorder in HS or college? Were there any events that triggered the intense paranoia?

I also didn't care much for the second photograph used in the story. It was misleading in that the caption made me think that Harris saw something the Brazilian government didn't want him to see. There wasn't anything of that nature in the story, but that's not Wright's fault, though.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, but the Heart of Darkness reference was.

The lede really should have been: "Brasilia...shit, I'm still only in Brasilia."

Draft saved Draft deleted