1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last American Virgin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Mar 27, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

LOUD NOISES!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Last American Virgin was Jr. H.S. or early H.S. for me. It was a good film that I am sure I would think is complete crap if I watched it now. It *did* have a bummer of an ending. I remember the movie so well, for some reason, including the soundtrack. Just hearing the name of the movie made me think of two songs: Keep on Loving You, by REO Speedwagon and Just Once, by Quincy Jones. I think I associate REO Speedwagon wiht that movie more than I do as a group in their own right.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But enough about Jay and his lady friend. :)

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That scene where the old lady breaks up the couple's romantic moment with a flower cracks me up.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw LAV years ago, but missed some of the parts. I do remember how much of a bummer the ending was:

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Quincy Jones produced the song but James Ingram was the singer.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just googled it and, holy shit, that was a hell of a soundtrack.

I always get this movie and Valley Girl confused for some reason. They came out within a year of each other when I was in high school.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I believe they played Open Arms approximately 90 times in that movie, much in the same way Jackson Browne seems to permeate the Fast Times soundtrack.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

They seemed to play two songs 150x apiece: "Open Arms" and "Just Once."

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

A great sleeper flick because of such low expectations. I think I was a freshman in college when it came out.

That ending? What a wallop, but you know its true a great deal of the time. My wife disagrees but I believe women want a little mystery and I've see my buddies being that puppy dog friend/wannabe partner be the loser too many times. But even then, standing by her the whole time then she ditches you for that loser? Harshest ending ever.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Who was a bigger pushover? Gary or Rat from Fast Times.

IMDB says that Rick was David Geffen's boyfriend in the '80's.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Definitely Gary. At least Rat didn't fund Stacy's abortion.

Though it's a dead heat for the more pathetic "fight" between former buds.

Draft saved Draft deleted