1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The largest city in the US w/o a daily newspaper is ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

We don't do boxes anymore mainly due to staffing limitations and deadlines.

2. Sadly, this should be/ will become a running thread.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Word for word agree, plus you can trust us not to fudge the numbers. The coaches and parents not so much

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree with all this. But the editorial effort is largely unrelated to the method of delivery. The prep scores will be on-line. And prepe reporters are becoming extinct at papers all over the country that still publish seven days a week.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Hermes likes this.
  5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

A shame. Does the Morning News not have enough staff to send at least one reporter to cover Arlington?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not publishing on Tuesdays? What happens when there’s a Steelers game or a Penguins playoff game on Monday night? Right. No one cares.

7. Severian

They would just read the online story.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

The 'O' is a shell of its former self. A giant back in the 80's, but now it's cyclical layoffs every 6 months. Speaking to the preps beat, it used to be rare for me to go a week without seeing an 'O' reporter somewhere. Now, maybe I'll see someone from the 'O' once the championship season rolls around.

Technically, still a daily, but it's thin.

9. Severian

Next, it'll cease weekend production. Then, a couple days a week. Finally, fold the print operation all together and be online only.

It's only a matter of time.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

At least it's still printing
    Tampa has been without a newspaper for a couple of years now
    St. Pete calls itself the Tampa Bay Times, but I don't think that counts

11. Severian

I mean, the paper covers the entire Tampa Bay region and it happens to be based in St. Petersburg. I think it still counts. It's like The Washington Post is headquartered in the District but covers everything from Annapolis to Richmond.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arlington, Texas is also the largest city in the U.S. without a single form of public transport.

When Herr Trump decides on his final redoubt at the end of Civil War II, we have a good idea where it'll be.

Draft saved Draft deleted