1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lantern: OSU's title game loss "could be worse"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by housejd, Jan 11, 2008.

1. I can't defend it - but I won't go as far as to write the dipshits off forever.

2. It's all about the execution:

They should have ran a photo from the game and then did a column naming all the ways it could be worse:

No. 1: We could have lost to Appalachian State.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Folks,

I don't see what's so wrong with it.

Signed,
    Nick Saban

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

This is what I was thinking. A column accompanying the game story about keeping perspective would have been a whole hell of a lot more appropriate. Like I said before: I understand the sentiment, I cringe at the execution.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Not picking on you at all WB, but that reminded me of the several times I had the "pleasure" of sitting next to "reporters" from the Michigan Daily.

It was all "we, we, we." Cheering and condemning UofM players. I wasn't sure if they were reporters or members of the SID staff. Each instance was as horrible as the next.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Michigan does not have a J-school, so of course they would have no idea about acting "professionally."

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Whoops. Move on.
    God knows, I've never fucked up.

8. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

See we (as in the people at my college paper) always had it hammered home that we weren't OU fans. That we couldn't be OU fans. We had to remain objective. So most of us acted like any other journalist when covering the game. Of course, there were some that were still uber-fans but I guess that's to be expected in college.
    Now that I'm not covering OU or any college team for that matter I feel I can cheer for them. If I was suddenly on a college beat (even if it was covering like Wyoming or something, a team that wouldn't have anything to do with OU) I would stop wearing OU stuff and stop cheering for them in public.
    Maybe that's all kinds of messed up. I don't know.

Anyway back to what I was saying, I didn't know kids at other college papers did the "we" stuff and acted like uber-fans in the press box.

It did lead to the funny moment in college when I picked Nebraska to beat OU and some girl in my class said "Hey! If you don't like it here why don't you go to OSU? Stillwater isn't that far away." then she asked me "Why are you even here?" and I had to respond(after much laughter) "because this is a school, not a football team."

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, they tried to reach for something and failed.

At least they tried. Next time, they'll know not to go there.

I hope.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . but . . . but . . . but . . . they're Michigan Men!

How dare you.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Most excellently played.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It's not just the Daily people.

Draft saved Draft deleted