1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Language Crawls Into A Hole And Dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 12, 2006.

1. About the Gitmo suicides.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/guantanamo/story/0,,1795445,00.html
    Hey, you want to say, "We run a kickass prison without human rights and some people can;t take it. Tough. We're at war," I'll disagree, but at least you're honest. This unmitigated bullshit, though. Wow. Orwell's at about 78 rpm these days.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Re: The Lamguage Crawls Into A Hole And Dies

I'll take a room with a view in Oceania, please!

3. The Winston Smith suite is available.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I read those quotes yesterday but decided that they were too disgusting to post--even by SportsJournalists.com standards.

What exactly is an "act of asymmetrical warfare"?

5. Terrorism is, according to the latest military theory.
    Of course, judging by this, almost anything is.

6. First off - I find it funny that the self appointed Language Policeman has to edit the title of the thread because he spelled the word language wrong.

Secondly - the suicides were co-ordinated in order to bring negative press against Gitmo and the US effort in the war on terror. These weren't boyscouts we are talking about who killed themselves either. I for one am glad they ceased to be. These people were counting on the negative publicity from the press who has never had anything good to say about the military to make this a big deal (come to think of it - have you ever seen FB start a pro-US or pro-military thread?). Congratulations - you granted these three slimeballs their last wish by making this a big deal.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And it frees up a couple more cells.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

First, we'll take over SportsJournalists.com then the world is ours!!!

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

wonder if their last words were anything similar to Zarqawi's? ;D

10. Proof of the first sentence, last graf. Won't be forthcoming but, what the hell, remedial reporting's a good place to start.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Are you entirely sure about that? I've read lots of stories from lots of sources and I'm not seeing the wave of anti-military writing that you're referring to. In fact, I'd be sensitive to it if I saw it, and I'm just not seeing widespread cases of it.

If, however, you mean that any negative reporting of the military equals anti-military, then I guess you're right. Then again, I guess that makes me anti-military. ::)

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess so since I was the one who posted

Never
    Again
    Volunteer
    Yourself

Draft saved Draft deleted