1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ladder Theory - attraction between men and women

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought about putting this on the dating thread, but I'd like to get a cross-section of opinions if possible and I know that not everyone frequents the dating thread.

I happened on this theory today that suggests there are some pretty clear-cut reasons why men and women are attracted to each other. It basically eliminates chemistry as a consideration, suggesting instead that men place women on a "ladder" of sorts - the higher the woman is placed on the ladder, the more the man wants to sleep with that woman. It is impossible, the theory says, for a heterosexual man to have women as platonic friends - if they are on the ladder at all, they are desired to varying degrees.

Women, meanwhile, have TWO ladders - one for friends and one for guys they want to sleep with. Men can be shifted from the sex ladder to the friend ladder but it is all but impossible for a man to move in the other direction because, once a woman has decided you are a friend, it is highly likely that is all you will ever be to her, if you are anything to her at all. If you do try to make the jump, you will most likely fail and not be able to return to the friend ladder - you will be kicked into the no man's land known as "the abyss."

It's all very interesting, and it actually seems to explain a lot about various situations in which I have reluctantly found myself. I note it "seems to explain," because I really don't know if I'm prepared to accept that it's as cut and dried as the theory makes it out to be. I would like to believe that chemistry and circumstances do still play important parts in attraction between the sexes. Please have a look at this and tell me what you honestly think.

www.laddertheory.com

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's complete crap, at least from the woman's side.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In what sense is it crap? Merely curious.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think there are numerous ladders, if you want to call it that, by which we group people.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can you be married yet in "the abyss"?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

More overanalysis about men and women? Pass.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I remember reading this about three years ago. Interesting to say the least.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

The Little Giant ladder blows this theory out of the water.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This man agrees:
    [​IMG]

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Complete crap from the man's side, too. You can have platonic female friends, if you're not so damn insecure about it.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I seem to have a ladder for girls I'd date and girls I just wanna hookup with. Girls I hookup with very rarely if ever fall into the dating side of things for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted