1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'Kobe Bryant Will Leave The LA Lakers' thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Re: The 'Kobe Will Leave The Lakers' thread

You could say they haven't had enough time, but they've had MANY chances. Just look at what's happening with the JO'Neal trade.

P.S. Who wouldn't want to give up Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd? Kobe and Kidd running things? That would've been VERY dangerous.

2. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

The reason Lakers fans will come out to watch the team is because the team will perform at least as well as they have 'under' Kobe. Winning, or actual development, brings fans out. You actually believe that Lakers fans who have been waiting for years to get certain arena seats won't take the chance to seize the 'getting rid of season tickets to protest trading Kobe' fans' foolishness? Those tickets will all be gone the day they are put on the market.

The 'sell' for the ticket buyers is the franchise, not one player. Especially a player who is going to be starting on his 12th year and who has led the team to an under-.500 record at the helm.

Kobe is cutting his losses here. And I give him credit for that. Maybe he is starting to mature after all. You have to know when to 'fold 'em,' as the song says, and Kobe realizes it's time to cash out, in the interest of his legacy. I firmly believe this.

3. Chuck~Taylor

You've got to be out of your fucking mind. Good thing you're not in business Rok :D

The Lakers would be the same without Kobe? Rok......you're smarter than this.

P.S. I think he's doing this to give the Lakers organization a shot in the arm. Because he really dosn't want to leave. He just wants to give the front office a little scare.

4. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I am in business, and for precisely the reason you bring up, in reverse: many people think emotionally, CT, as I believe you are. You have to think of the bottom line in business, not of the bad week you will take in the wake of your trading Kobe. Mark my words, those tickets will be gone the day they are sold. You have no idea how many Lakers fans are sick of Kobe and have given up on the team until he is gone. They will - in a cutting-the-line move - scoop those tickets up instantly, and at a discount.

Look, like I said somewhere else today, I am much more interested in the net BALCO turn than the U.S. Open, or even Kobe. That's why I worked awhile on my first post of the day on the Creamora 'Novitzky' thread. This thread was just a throw-together, and a place to try to hopefully contain all the talk that is going to be coming out about 'what will Kobe do?'

5. Chuck~Taylor

I'm not "sad" about Kobe getting traded. I couldn't care less about the guy. I'm not even a Lakers fan. :D

Yeah, tickets will be gone for like a month. And then when they realize how bad the Lakers are, they'll stop coming. People don't show up to teams that only win 20 games a season.
    People come to Laker games to see if Kobe will drop 81 again. Period. LA is all about star power. It's all about being "Hollywood". Ben Gordon isn't a sexy name. Kirk Hinrich? Nope.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Lakers basketball will never be the same if, whazzhizname leaves... Magic? Jabbar? (see my point? The game is bigger than his ego...)

7. Chuck~Taylor

That's a good point Slappy.
    But I still don't see people coming out to see and paying that much to see a 20-30 win team.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

You realize, of course, that since that Laker owner bought the franchise in 79 the Lakers have won EIGHT World Championships and have a higher overall average winning percentage over that 28 year period than any other major franchise in American sports?

Jerry Buss must be damn miserable if he does not want to win, like you claim, because he sure has done a helluva lot of it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In LA, it isn't about the team, it's about the event. The people in the 1500 a game seats will show up; the team doesnt care about the handful of people in the 40 buck a night seats because the others make up for it in "extras"

10. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

You said it all, Slappy, and about 1/20the per-word rate I've had to use. Well done.

Even with a stronger West next year, if the Lakers get say Hinrich, Gordon and Thomas, I'm predicting they will win at least as many games next year as they did this year. Likely more. There is a HUGE 'addition by subtraction' thing going on here. Guys do not like playing with Kobe, period. And you will hear more of that from his current teammates, I predict, once he is gone. All eggshell-walking all the time gets old. Next year will be a new start for guys who have only been Kobenaires to this point in their careers. And they will thrive. Think Bill Simmons' "Ewing Theory" here.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Im pretty sure Kupchack runs most of the basketball operations.

P.S. It's all laid out there for you to see. They've passed on many players that could've helped this team. Baron Davis, Carlos Boozer(there were reports saying that Kupchak thought he could never be a good scorer), and JKidd(didn't want to give up the great Andrew Bynum). And they're about to give up JO'Neal.

12. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Yet this is exactly the type of mental gymnastics Kobe fans are trying to wriggle themselves into these days - "Buss doesn't want to win." Facts be damned. The NBA didn't start before Kobe entered. Complete nonsense.

Utterly absurd. Yet people actually are allowing themselves to believe this trash, all for a punk guy who doesn't deserve one iota of their willing fawning.

That is some sad stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.