1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The King of Pop or the King?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 25, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If I ever record "an album," there's my title right there.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How much coverage was there on Marilyn Monroe?

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Elvis was the bigger death. I don't think many felt Elvis got what was coming to him like many think Michael Jackson got.

As many have pointed out, Elvis was still relevant at his death, playing to sold out shows everywhere and making good music still. (Way Down is a great, great song). Jackson hasn't been relevant in music since the early 1990s.

And let's be frank - in 25 years, millions are still going to flock to Graceland. He will always be synonymous with Las Vegas. In 25 years, what will be left of Michael Jackson?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Elvis married Priscilla so it doesn't matter. Besides, it's well known that Elvis refused to score with Priscilla until they were married.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good call. Major, major news event, probably the biggest non-politician celebrity death between Babe Ruth and Elvis.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"Thriller" topped anything Brooks did.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A lot.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think kleeda's on the mark with Rudolph Valentino being the first mass-media/celebrity death. From Wiki:

Long live the Latin Lover.

[​IMG]

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Garth had several worldwide tours. Went to Ireland and recorded part of Double Live there and was astounded that every person there knew the lyrics. He gave a Central Park concert that was so huge, they had to shut down avenues around the park because of the million people who were there.

Not saying that he was as big as Michael, but he was right up there. And no one can fault his reasoning for taking a step back the last decade. He needed to be with his kids.

That being said, I think it'll be interesting to see what the autopsy says. If it's drugs, I'd say Elvis was more shocking, but natural causes or an undetected heart defect might give it to Michael.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Biggest news celebrity deaths of my lifetime:

1. Elvis
    2. Marilyn
    3. Lennon
    4. Buddy Holly
    5. James Dean

12. Still does.
    No. 1 all-time selling album. ever. It's not even close. Thriller has sold more than a 100 million. No other has come even close.
    Garth Brooks is no where to be found on this list.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide

Draft saved Draft deleted