1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The King of Pop or the King?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Elvis... by a fucking country mile

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about Garth Brooks? [/intercrossthreading]

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Elvis never molested Garth Brooks.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Lot of people died before Buddy Holly, but his was the first celebrity death I I remember being a huge deal.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So James Dean WASN'T a big deal? He was posthumously nominated for TWO Oscars.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Dunno. Like I said, I was born much later than that. The question was more about the media's reaction, and Holly's was certainly a huge deal nationwide. Not sure if Dean got the same treatment. Maybe he did.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If we're going to include sports figures as celebrities, Lou Gehrig (1941) and Babe Ruth (1948) were probably bigger than Buddy Holly anyway ...

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did he molest Chris Gaines?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn that's good.

Celebrity tragedy apparently brings out the best in you, Dools.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'd go elvis no. 1, john lennon no. 2 and jacko no. 3. if elvis and mr. ono had been shockingly done in prematurely as they were in the current 24/7 media world the coverage woulda been off the effin' charts. :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Well, that depends.

Did their mom pack them a peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich for lunch?

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I think Valentino garnered worldwide coverage in papers, radio and newsreels. Couldn't do more than that in his day.

Draft saved Draft deleted