1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The King of Pop or the King?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Whose death is bigger?
    To me, while Michael Jackson was huge.. I think THE King's death was the bigger deal.
    I think Jackson's death is easier to do in the age f the Internet and the continuous news cycle.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Elvis.

In today's fractured culture, nothing will ever be as big as some of the stories of the past.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Everyone is going to say Elvis because he never molested kids.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I guess that's what happens when you molest kids.

Rick
    (Trying to make that an SportsJournalists.com meme)

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Both were white guys singing black music.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Elvis ... no doubt.

We'll all just move on to the next big story tomorrow. I'd like to think Elvis' death lingered -- even hurt -- for quite a while.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

How does a death of someone you have no personal attachement to hurt?

EDIT: Left out no.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wait until Europe, Asia and the other continents wake up and hear Jacko is dead. Elvis was big in Europe, but Jacko was huge everywhere.

Elvis and Jackson were "a part" of people's lives. They were the soundtrack to a lot of good memories.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The manner of John Lennon's death is probably bigger than both, but the shock value is the same for all three. Came out of the clear, blue sky

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Part of the reason for this might have been because Elvis never performed outside the United States, allegedly because Col. Tom Parker was an illegal immigrant and could not travel abroad.

But Elvis was still very much an active performer at the time of his death. He'd been on tour less than two months earlier, and had released an album less than a month before his death.

Jackson hadn't toured since 1997 (though he had a sold-out tour scheduled to begin next month) and hadn't released a studio album since 2001. He'd been more or less out of the spotlight for musical reasons for better than a decade.

So I say Elvis, for those reasons. That, and he was never accused (multiple times) of being a homosexual pedophile ...

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tangental gripe: At the time MJ's people forced MTV to sign a contract in which they'd agree to refer to MJ as the King of Pop, SoundScan was a new technology being used by the record industry and Billboard to figure out which albums actually sold well.

The real king of pop at the time? Garth Brooks. Absolutely buried Jackson in terms of album sales in the early-to-mid-1990s.

12. Not worldwide, that's for sure.

Brooks had his niche, but MJ was global.

Draft saved Draft deleted