1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The king is dead: Noah replaces Jacob as No. 1 name for boys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 9, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My brother's wife is having a boy and they were debating names. I submitted Ryan and Joshua.

They liked both.

They're going with Anderson. :-\

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh sure, we know Colorado. The Arizona Assassin. From Dakota. North, I think, South is his brother. From West Virginia.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know none. The closest is a mother named Julie whose daughter is named Julia, and that was entirely the result of honoring the husband's mother's middle name.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sweet Brown loves your list.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Thinking back now there may have been a couple among my schoolmates' families, but usually the mother or daughter had a completely different nickname by which they were commonly known, i.e., a mother known as Betty with a daughter Lizzie.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Took a prep phone call the other week, and one of the girls names on a softball team was Afrika.

Interesting that I have a friend with two daughters, one named Sophia, the other named Ava ... both on the top 5. I didn't think they were that common.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's an espresso machine brand called UNIC. Now, pronounced phonetically, it's a really terrible name. But, it's pronounced unique.

Could be a "good" girls name.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Can we talk about Khalissi, which is now super popular?

Even George RR Martin thinks this is creepy.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Uh

10. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Noaa - especially if the parents are weather junkies.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Awesome

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I almost named my boy something unique...I made it up and have used the name as my "athlete's name" in my EA Sports/Madden careers. I always thought it was cool. My wife never said no, until she got preggo.
    Now, instead of him being Esia Montana, we have Logan Scott.

Draft saved Draft deleted