1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The kindest thing anyone's ever done for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Apr 30, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

During the year I covered D.C. United for a fan website, I was feeling somewhat insecure about being among professional media types, almost as if I were some sort of interloper. I was determined to "earn" my spot among the other credentialed media by asking the sorts of questions I expected media to ask.

Along the way, I met John Haydon, the then-soccer columnist for The Washington Times. He actually came up to me and introduced himself to me and we had a brief, pleasant chat before one match.

However, the reason I'm introducing the story this way is what John Haydon did later on that season. D.C. United lost a match in which its midfield play was awful. When coach Thomas Rongen came in to address the media and was getting questions that had nothing to do with the team's midfield play, I asked him about it.

Rongen then launched into a read-me-the-riot-act bit where he asked me when I got my coaching license. I *think* he eventually answered my question, but I don't remember if he did.

Anyway, before the next home match, Haydon made a beeline for me and told me he thought what Rongen did was totally uncalled for. He then said something that gave me the validation I sorely needed at the time: "You were absolutely right about the midfield play. It was awful."

That story is one of the reasons I still think of Haydon fondly.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Listen, without judgment. That's really rather rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted