1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The kindest thing anyone's ever done for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

My ninth grade English teacher said I had a "real flair" for writing. A kind word begat something resembling a career.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The people who told me I should become a writer, I curse on a daily basis. :D

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A guy I used to work with got news that his wife was going into labor six weeks early. The GM grabbed him and said, "You're coming back with us" and he flew home with the team." The GM had someone call the hotel and pack his room up and FedEx it all back. He went straight to the hospital and was there for the birth. After going home from the hospital 48 hours later, the Fed Ex box was sitting on his porch,

5. printdust

printdust New Member

My first wife left me after months of trying.

I never knew life could be so grand.

Hers? Went to the crapper and still is. Still have an occasional bill collector, dealer or bounty hunter call trying to find her location. Not that I relish that; I just realize what life could have been like for me.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't know, but my wife's cousin, who looks like an imbalanced underwear model, brought me a double cheeseburger the other day without my asking.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Those are both great stories. Awesome.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A friend did something pretty lousy to me last night, so I like this thread!

About 15 years ago, I was meeting my parents for a much-needed but short vacation. I had a connection in Atlanta to the last flight of the night to the place I was going. Of course, my flight into ATL got in late and arrived at the A gates. The Delta employee at the end of the jetway told me that my connecting flight was at the last gate in the E concourse and that it was about to close the doors so I needed to "run as fast you can" to get there. Off I went. I am not a good runner, have no stamina and was carrying a heavy bag. But damn it, I needed to make this flight or I'd be stuck in ATL and my vacation would be cut short.

I think most of you know what a huge airport ATL is. To make matters worse, the train between terminals was having problems, so I had to run from A to E. By the time I got there (not to my gate, just to the E concourse), I could barely breathe. I was totally gasping for air when two women stopped me in my path. It was a mother and daughter. The mother put her hands on my shoulders and guided me to a chair. The daughter asked which gate I was going to and ran ahead to tell them I was coming and not to leave. The mom got me some water and sat with me until I was breathing normally. Then they walked me to my gate. They were so kind and calming. I'm sure I would have passed out if not for them, because I still had a pretty good distance to run to get to my gate. I still think of them whenever I have connecting flights that are far apart in an airport.

To add insult to injury, though, my flight was NOT about to leave. They were holding the flight for connecting passengers like me. The gate agent said that the agent at my first flight should have known that and was really mad she told me to run (not as mad as me, of course!).

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As someone who had who I thought was a friend recently do something lousy to me, I'm liking this thread, too. Did they buy you yogurt pretzels, too?

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Nah - the real reason I had to run for my flight was because I bought some of my own.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You don't by chance know Brett Favre, do you?

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Love this thread.

For me, it all (as usual) comes down to sex.

Kindest thing anyone's ever done for me (That I can remember) is the girl that let me cross home plate for the first time. At the time, it was the first time I'd done anything, period. I was 19, a big social loser and too shy for my own good.

For some reason (Low self esteem maybe?), this kind lady let me bang her in the parking lot of my college and though we got caught by her mother (who, unbeknown to me was also taking classes at the campus), it was a great experience mainly because it made me realize sex isn't a big deal and, pardon my grossness here, isn't all that different that whacking it myself.

From that point on, I was much more confident taking to women, no longer have the v-card stress of trying to lose my virginity before I turned 20 and it led directly to me meeting my current fiancee.

Draft saved Draft deleted