1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The kind of story that does little to help journalism ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FishHack76, Apr 25, 2012.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

In a bit of odd timing, Yahoo! publishes this love letter to Wal-Mart from Travis Okulski. I swear it reads like the script to a training video. I loved the comments at the bottom. It seems you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/i-worked-at-walmart-for-two-years-and-i-actually-really-liked-it.html

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That column was the most boring and pointless thing I've ever read.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not sure what this "column" has to do with journalism...

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

this

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Well, when it's put that way.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It reads like Walmart promotional material. Not much of a high water mark for Yahoo or 'journalism.'

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Yahoo homepage is so bizarre. And yes, as a Yahoo Mailer I visit it often. The featured stories range from things designed to scare the shit out of you - "Does toilet paper cause cancer?" - to ridiculous cat videos. The actual news stories linked at the bottom often are from "Yahoo contributors," which is basically just anyone spouting off about anything, but they're linked in the same place as the stories that are from Reuters or another news agency.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

I couldn't read past the third graf. More chance of me finishing a "What I did with my summer vacation" school essay.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well? does it?

Draft saved Draft deleted