1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The kids don't even know what they are

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Jan 14, 2011.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Member

And so I survived career day at my daughter's elementary school today. But when I asked 4th-graders how most people found out news about their favorite teams, newspapers were either the last things on their minds, or not on their minds at all. I had to bring them up to two of the four classes.

I'm out of newspapers now (SID gig), and I know this isn't news, but it still saddens me.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Dad, what does clockwise mean?

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

They're in fourth grade!! When I was in fourht grade, I got news about my favorite teams from my dad. Obviously less people are talking newspapers these days but I wouldn't read too much into a bunch of fourth graders.

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Member

Fourth grade, huh? Fourth grade is a lot different than when we were in fourth grade. I got, without prompting from each class, answers that included TV and the web, including specific websites, none of which were newspaper sites. They were either espn.com or TV news websites; and they all needed little instruction on how Facebook and Twitter reaches "people who might be interested in Poduck U's sports". Every time. I was asked how many hits our coaches' Q&A videos get on YouTube.

Clearly, news dissemination isn't going anywhere. That's understood. Baseball might be dying in popularity, but kids still play Little League. Kids don't even know what newspapers are.

Me: "How did you find out whether Carolina won last night?"
    Kid: "I looked it up on TarHeelBlue.com this morning."

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My fourth grader was issued a PC notebook at the beginning of the year that is connected to a class WiFi. It is on her desk the entire day. One of her subjects she is graded on -- along with math and language arts -- is "Digital and Technology Skills."
    I think it would be naive to think when she is in eighth grade she will discover newspapers.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would think it would be naive she would even want to pick up a newspaper. In a digital world, you can't base your business on someone holding a bunch of paper. Newspapers will be the niche product when the fourth graders are raising families.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How awesome is that though? I remember I had to sit and watch the scroll at the bottom of CNN Headline News because they were the only channel to have all the sports scores. Even Michigan vs. Prairie View A&M. Like clockwork, when the score was about to come up, CNN would go to commercial. By the time it came back they would be on NHL games. It was so frustrating.

8. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Our 10-year old son asked whether his favorite baseball team won the previous night's game.

"Let's check the Sports section," which I had in my hand.

"Naa, I'll just look on my iTouch," he said, and declined to even look at the paper even as I pointed to the game recap.

The only time they look at a newspaper is when it's required for school work for a "current event." Even then, they print something off the laptop (only because a printed page is required).

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Ah, this internet thing is just a fad ... let's move on to more important matters, like how we should organize our annual Progress section.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's funny, because I remember having to sit through a thousand college games I didn't care about waiting to get to the NHL, only to have it go to a commercial right as they got to it every single time.

11. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

When I was in the fourth grade, I did read the newspaper ... that was back when the Sunday comics section featured cigarette ads ... also carried around an Almanac, too ... what a looser I was

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's not like she hasn't had the opportunity. She's a bright kid, never gets anything below an "A" or an "O." Every day of her life, there have been as many as three papers hit the driveway. The newspaper doesn't grab her when she can find what interests her in four seconds on an iTouch or DSi. I realize some of the technology is narrowing the education, but it's difficult to put the toothpaste back in the tube. Especially with peer influence.
    But, even I consume news differently. We all do.

Draft saved Draft deleted