1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The kid who doesn't exist" (UPDATE: He now exists, reunites with birth mom)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Read it and weep. Literally. It's a story (part of a long series looking at a struggling inner-city Indianapolis high school) about a kid who was basically dumped by his drug-addled mother, and has a dim future simply because he doesn't have the paperwork to prove that he's real. But then...

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100427/NEWS08/4250378/Kid-who-doesn-t-exist-looks-to-future

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Re: "The kid who doesn't exist"

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

3. Re: "The kid who doesn't exist"

Can't be hatin' on Indy no more. Good work my brothas.

We had one of my kinfolk not exist for a while, but that was for a different reason, ya dig?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn that was good.

5. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Wow. Amazing a reporter could turn up what so many couldn't. Didn't see the story going that way. Thanks for sharing.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That story just made my day. Thanks for sharing it!

7. statrat

statrat Member

I just started tearing up at work reading that. Loved the story, awesome kid, great job by the reporter. Even though his research turned the story in a new direction, he didn't take that element and trample all over the column with it. He just let a great story unfold and got out of the way. And a great story it is indeed.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Great story - kudos to the research librarian at the paper who was able to turn up the aliases that led to the connection and kudos to the reporter for just letting the story unfold. However there are two questions the story left unanswered - has he gotten in touch with his sister/how did it go if he did? and has he tried contacting his birth father?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great story. I was hoping it would have a happy ending.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Amazing the journalism that is capable of being produced when media organizations let reporters have time to find and report good stories.

11. WTH!

WTH! New Member

Agreed...great stuff...

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How about the end of the story that doesnt exist?

For two days now I have tried to read the sixth and final page of the damn story. But I can't. It keeps defaulting me back to page 2. I have tried to do a single page view, nothing.

This damn page jump system Gannett implemented is awful. If a former Web Editor at a Gannett shop (me) can't get the thing to work, how are other readers supposed to?

Anyway, would someone mind posting the last page so I could read it?

Draft saved Draft deleted