1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kennedys on Reelz

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Apr 7, 2011.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The way they ended up glossing over everything interesting about the RFK campaign, they'd have been better off ending it with Dallas. I'm guessing they just wanted a lot of RFK/Jackie O scenes.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup, the first five or six eps were best, by far. the last eps were awfully sloppy and rushed. as someone noted, it was like ted never existed. guess they wanted to keep it simple.

i thought peppers, as bobby, gave the strongest performances.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My girlfriend found this on Netflix. We're about 5 episodes in.

It seems to treat just about every rumor as truth, but I'm getting a kick out of it -- like some kind of Irish Godfather.

Joe Kennedy is richer than Don Corleone, nearly as ruthless, and after the death of Joe Jr. (Sonny), the fair haired son Jack (Michael) becomes the heir apparent.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Joe Kennedy was an entitlement thug who could have crapped on WWII.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pawn Stars strikes a chord because it's nitty-gritty Antique Roadshow -- not to
    mention that it's frequently damn funny.

I'll also recommend it because any virgins out there can learn a good deal about
    shrewd negotiating by viewing it.

One lesson shines through, and all should heed it: You'll almost always take a ton
    the worst of it if you can't resist grabbing at lowball instant-gratification payoffs.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'll see your Joe Kennedy and raise you a Prescott Bush.

And so it goes.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Tit for tat. Kennedy nearly sold the British out to Hitler. Bush couldn't have done something that stupid.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

George Bush's grandfather, the late US senator Prescott Bush, was a director and shareholder of companies that profited from their involvement with the financial backers of Nazi Germany.

The Guardian has obtained confirmation from newly discovered files in the US National Archives that a firm of which Prescott Bush was a director was involved with the financial architects of Nazism.

His business dealings, which continued until his company's assets were seized in 1942 under the Trading with the Enemy Act, has led more than 60 years later to a civil action for damages being brought in Germany against the Bush family by two former slave labourers at Auschwitz and to a hum of pre-election controversy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

FDR got tired of the old asshole's act and pulled his ass out of Court of St. James. Joe underestimated British resources -- including their limitless capacity to display steel will and
    the stiff upper lip.

Say this for Joe, he earned his money. It wasn't all on the table (the bootlegging earnings), but his stock-market savvy was beyond compare.

Yeah, his kids got kissed into the Big Bankroll -- but he didn't.

Prescott Bush's history speaks for itself. And it ain't pretty. He's far from alone in terms of big names and entities playing footsie with Adolf, but he's up there.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The problem with out system of government is that you can't trust anybody who a.) would want a high-level political office and b.) would do what it takes to get it.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

But his SON turned out so kinder and gentler......

12. mb

mb Active Member

yeah, well, your side's president's daddy was worse than my side's president's daddy.

/shakes head

Draft saved Draft deleted