1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kennedys on Reelz

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Apr 7, 2011.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Anybody else watching this?

I can't say I've been blown away by it. But the trio of Greg Kinnear (JFK); Barry Pepper (RFK) and Katie Holmes (Jackie Kennedy), certainly look and sound the part.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I feel more or less the same -- I can't say I like it that much, but I keep watching. I think Kinnear is doing well, I don't see the RFK in Pepper yet.

I had to DVR the episodes after a while -- I just can't take all those commercial breaks.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yup. Ever since I got a DVR, I don't watch live TV outside of games anymore.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I watched the part about the Bay of Pigs invasion. Kinnear has Costner's Robin Hood disease. The accent comes and goes.

Maybe sometime I'll watch more of it. But probably not.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Pepper is pretty good in just about everything I remember seeing him in.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's been, um, interesting. even good in sports with several strong performances and i can see how the kennedys raised a ruckus and intimidated the history channel into dropping it; ma and especially pa kennedy -- a renowned bully and a--hole who set the standard for his sons whoring around. the matriarch/patriarch are particularly portrayed unsympathetically. and no holds barred regarding the pain-killing medicinal intake by jfk and jackie. pa and ma's treatment of poor rosemary is very sad...

no doubt liberties have been taken but aren't they always in films like this? overall, i've found it to be surprisingly solid, for the most part. kinnear, holmes, roger maris and ma and pa turn in fine performances thus far, imho.

a sold 6.5 out of 10....

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I've only seen the first four and when it comes to the accents, I thought it was Holmes who seemed to slip in and outitt and even changed what part of the country her accent represented a few times.

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

She wasn't in the part I watched. So I don't have an opinion on her.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I hope this plays here in Canuckistan. It was filmed in our neighbourhood and the Hyannisport house was built in a park on one of my favourite bike routes.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Saw the first two hours. Had a hard time associating Tom Wilkinson as a Kennedy when I remember him so well playing James Baker from HBO's "Recount" movie.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Katie Holmes is a nice, respectable, wholesome girl... and I'm gonna see her boobs."

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As a founding producer of Reelz (no longer there, though -- the bastards up and moved the entire operation to New Mexico and fired 160 people in order to get a tax break for the billionaire family owners) I'm curious:

Can those of you who watched the Kennedys name another show on the Reelz Channel?

Do you plan on returning to the network to watch anything else?

Draft saved Draft deleted