1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kansas City Star refuses to publish 'Redskins'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I applaud your grasp of American history. For the majority of its 220+ years, America was as racist as any other country on the globe. Not just the blacks or Indians. Ever read about how Asian immigrants who helped build the railroads were treated?

It's only been in the last 40 years or so that all the political correctness has taken over everything.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I assume "honky-tonk" is verboten in any context as well.

Tell you what, let's put this on some sort of official ballot and give true Native-Americans the opportunity to vote yeah or nay on any mascot names relative to their heritage. If a majority votes it down, then get rid of the names. I can live with that.

I'll consent to that vs. what I presume to be predominantly white Anglo-Saxon or African-American editors taking it upon themselves to determine the fate of Native-American references.

This patronizing PC attitude stinks.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What clutchcargo said.

4. J Staley

J Staley Member

What is your point? Of course Native Americans aren't the only people that have experienced institutionalized racism — we are the land of equal opportunity, after all, so lots of minorities got a taste of it.

Sure, Asians had it bad for a while. So did blacks, and Hispanics. But only Native Americans have a derogatory term for them used as a professional sports nickname.

I don't have a problem with other Native American terms used for sports teams — Seminoles, Indians, Braves, Sioux, etc. And I know there have been polls of Native Americans specifically about the use of Redskins, and the overwhelming majority don't care or aren't offended.

From what I've read, the legal battles regarding the name are essentially exhausted. Fine. But there are also plenty of people that don't like the name. Obviously some work at the KC Star. And, as long as it doesn't obstruct readers' understanding, why not protest the name there.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Coming from a guy who is complaining about new college football jerseys and how everything was better back in the day, this post reads awfully wistful.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

go fuck yourself, bigot.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yeah, damn, weren't things so much better in this country when people knew their places?

in fact, was that slave thing actually all that wrong, mark?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kentucky.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Then either it or you need to look at a map, and it's the paper.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Native Americans have been fighting this fight for years and years and years. They would vote overwhelmingly to do away with it. This Mike Wise column is from 2009:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/17/AR2009091704483.html

"The argument has always been the same," Harjo said. " 'We are honoring you,' they say. 'No, you're not,' we reply. 'Shut up,' they say. That's pretty much the divide for 17 years."

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Great story about Harjo and the six other plaintiffs. I count seven thumbs down. So, let's still put it to a vote as I described. Majority rules, plain and simple. You'll get no argument from me.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A fine position for you to take as you know it is not possible.

Your assumption that this comes from rabble-rousing do-gooder editors is comically false. I am sure you also get mad that diversity in the office has ruined all the good jokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted