1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kansas City Star refuses to publish 'Redskins'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It shouldn't.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If PETA and the Native American groups had their way, we'd be losing quite a few mascots. People also bitch about teams being named after natural disasters (Hurricanes, Avalanche...).

I'm definitely in the "people should get a grip" camp...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think that's what they agreed on. It was quite the spirited argument though...

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Redskin is a bullshit fucking mascot name. I don't see anybody but insensitive white assholes attempting to defend that type of shit.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This argument is so fucking tired.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I always thought Canucks was a derogatory term.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm getting ready to go to a game here in a little while where the visitors today are the Braves. Many times when there is an Indian referenced mascot coming to town they get protested by a local nut job woman who claims to be 1/64th Cherokee twice removed on her third cousin's side. I hope she is there today, and I truly hope I get to see her get told to fuck off. This particular school was started for, is still mostly attended by and supported by a particular tribe.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Golly, Tommy! Lame-ass potty mouth is so fucking fun!!!

9. J Staley

J Staley Member

Perhaps it could stop with pejorative terms.

And, yes, I know you can find places where vikings, yankees, chiefs, Texans and Canadians are used as an insult, but none of those are at the level of redskin. Of all those terms, the only one listed in the dictionary has being offensive is redskin.

I know, I know, 'get a grip.'

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dan Snyder disagrees with you.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Offensive is in the eye of the beholder. These names didn't come about yesterday. Been around for a while. Some people just going around looking for stuff to whine about.

12. J Staley

J Staley Member

Of course. If you're offended just 1) look away or 2) grow thicker red skin. Perfect.

The Redskins nickname is fitting. What better way to remind the nation, and the world, of how terribly the U.S. has treated a group of citizens than keeping Redskins. This country should have a franchise of its most popular sport with a racist nickname — especially in the capital city. Couldn't be better.

Draft saved Draft deleted