1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kansas City Star refuses to publish 'Redskins'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Sep 30, 2012.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Their publisher went to Oregon State. I bet there's no policy against Beavers.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow, zag, how disappointing of you. business owners can't choose what type of product they're going to produce for themselves?
    doesn't that pretty much spit in the face of everything you supposedly believe in?

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

What does the Kansas City Star call the state between Illinois and Ohio?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When the policy first started, I remember picking the paper up and seeing the Redskins referred to as "Washington's NFL franchise"...

I did love it a few years ago when someone ripped Florida State for using the Seminoles and within a matter of hours, the tribe sent out a release stating how they loved being associated with the school. I'm sure FSU gives them a ton of $$$ to make sure that happens, but I still thought it was funny as hell...

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nativa!

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Political correctness run amok. Although, honestly, in this "oh let's be sure we don't offend anyone" world, I'm surprised more places haven't done this.

I really admire the University of North Dakota for sticking to its guns on the Sioux nickname. Tell the NCAA "this is who we are and if you don't like it, go fuck yourself".

7. Mizzougrad96

I was sad when Fighting Sioux went away. I remember our deskers arguing whether the headline Siouxweet should have a W or not...

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Where does it stop?

Does Vikings offend Scandinavian people? Or Yankees? Or Chiefs? Or Texans? Or Canadiens?

As one person said, if you go through life looking for something to be upset over, you won't have to look very far. People need to get over it and get a life.

9. Mizzougrad96

Wow, I thought ND had ditched Fighting Sioux. I was wrong...

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's been going back and forth. Legislature got involved, so did the governor. So now it's in the courts and who knows how that will play out.

I just like the principle of a school and it's students/staff/alums deciding that they like who they are and that's that. Those kind of changes should come from within, not be dictated from the outside.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Came close to buying a Sioux hoodie at Walmart yesterday.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Redneckistan.

Draft saved Draft deleted